Glock Gen4 redesigned recoil spring.

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Glock Gen4 redesigned recoil spring.

Post by Georgezilla » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:36 pm

My Glock 22 Gen4 was having an issue with its recoil spring where the end of the spring on the barrel side was actually going inside the its shroud (not sure the term to use) and getting stuck.

I called Glock for a replacement recoil spring, which I received today. Glock apparently redesigned their non-subcompact Gen4 recoil assemblies and has an exchange program for Gen4 Glocks that have the old design (not sure if this is new news or not).

Below are some pictures of the old and new design. The new spring has a metal collar on the end of it to prevent the issue that I was having with my pistol, the springs themselves are larger in dia. (and the thicker springs do require one to apply more force when racking the slide), and the end of the polymer guide rod was redesigned -- presumably due to the addition of the metal collar.

(please excuse the photo quality, was in a bit of a hurry)

Image Image
Image Image

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:43 am

Photos look good to me. I'm sure all the Glock fans will appreciate the heads-up. Now if they could just do something about that plastic frame..... :roll:
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

radio
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by radio » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:53 pm

I've never had a single issue with my Gen 4 (19) after maybe 700 rounds fired since I bought it new. I did, however, take them up on their "replacement" offer and just received it recently. After installing the new RSA, I ran 50 rounds through it and tossed the other in the Glock spare parts drawer.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:41 pm

The dept armourer exchanged our guiderods at our last range session on or new gen4 glock 22s when asked why they said they didn't know but the new ones were better because they were new......... :roll:
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne