Going off half cocked

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Fri May 06, 2011 4:56 pm

Bullseye wrote:You know, perhaps I'm just a little confused here. I don't recall endorsing, or suggesting, that anyone use the half-cock notch as a 1911 safety measure, in either of the postings where I was asked to respond how this feature worked.

R,
Bullseye
you didn't
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

CoastieN70

Post by CoastieN70 » Fri May 06, 2011 5:23 pm

There are two types of hammers for the 1911 pistols with different half cock hooks. We will call them (for arguements sake) "Original" and "Series 80"

Kimber uses an "Original" hammer, Colt uses both, Springfield uses mainly "Series 80" and others as they see fit.

An "Original" should not fall from half cock, if it does there is a problem and it should be fixed asap.

A "Series 80" hammer has its half cock hooks lower on the hammer and WILL fall from half cock.

Visually the "Series 80" hammer is barely off the firing pin at half cock and when thumbed to this position emits a barely audable "Click".
The "Original" hammer sits "proudly" away from the firing pin and makes a distinctly audable "Click" when thumbed into position.

greener

Post by greener » Fri May 06, 2011 9:16 pm

Bullseye wrote:You know, perhaps I'm just a little confused here. I don't recall endorsing, or suggesting, that anyone use the half-cock notch as a 1911 safety measure, in either of the postings where I was asked to respond how this feature worked.

R,
Bullseye
I hope I didn't imply that you did. You pretty clearly explained the differences and workings. blue68f100's Kimber quote suggested that it was a safety ("Hammer Safety Stop"). I've heard other people say that it was a firing safety. I've never had a high opinion of just how safe most firearms safeties are. I learned something in these two threads I didn't know and reinforced my distrust of firearms safeties.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri May 06, 2011 11:07 pm

This thread has turned out to be very informative for all. The question I asked was "Is the hammer dropping from 1/2 cock normal, on the Kimber". The answer is NO. We now know the differences between series 70 & 80 and the internal differences too. 1/2 cock is not a normal condition for a gun. In no way is it a safety. In Kimber's gun its a catch for the hammer if someone is either trying to cock the gun or lower the hammer and it slips. In any case this is not the proper handling of the gun. The Chamber must be cleared before lowering the hammer.

I thank all for contributing to this very good technical thread.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat May 07, 2011 7:04 am

blue68f100 wrote:The Chamber must be cleared before lowering the hammer.
I guess that statement say it all. That is the only way to drop the hammer on a 1911, if the chamber gun is empty, 9insert mag, rack the slide, put on the thumb safety, and holster It and go about your business.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.