On powder coating

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

gcp
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

On powder coating

Post by gcp » Mon May 02, 2011 11:13 pm

Gang, is powder coating an acceptable process to coat the aluminum frame of my new PT1911? This Taurus shoots well but the finish of the frame leaves a lot to be desired. I've already cold blued the slide, and it looks much better, but the frame still needs a lot of help.

I've been told that powder coating would be a better finish than duracoat but since it involves heating the frame I'd like to make certain the process will not unnecessarily weaken the metallurgy of my pistol.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue May 03, 2011 8:53 am

Generally Al frames are Hard Anodized, this provides protection for the rails. Some of the Powder Coat is harder than others. Ceramic coating is another coating that is used to protect frames, I think this is a type of powder coat. Heat is used to temper Al making it harder/tougher the low temps. The low temp heat applied to the Al frame should not hurt the frame.

I think Duracoat requires a thicker coating than powder coating which may impact fitting of slide.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will chime in.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue May 03, 2011 12:09 pm

as long as you keep the Duracoat away from the slide rails (it'll wear away from there any how if you don't) you should be OK with that. duracoat is supposed to be a very tough coating...

http://www.youtube.com/user/nutnfancy#p ... 0DAD2354B3

here's a long video but this dude duracoated his taurus pt1911 works good for him
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

gcp
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by gcp » Wed May 04, 2011 9:03 pm

It took a couple of hours to fit it all together, due to very minor overspray that I think can't be helped, but it now all fits perfectly well, and the pistol looks much better than original, not to mention a much hardier frame finish. As long as the guy that does the job is good don't even think twice about not powder coating your gun. It's a hardier finish than Duracoat and the color selections are practically infinite.

BTW, I was able to use my Wilson jig #1 today and this PT1911's trigger pull is now a smoth 3.5Lbs, so far so good but the proof's in the shooting.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Wed May 04, 2011 9:07 pm

Did you take before pictures?
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

gcp
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by gcp » Wed May 04, 2011 9:16 pm

Yes, here's the old.

The PT is a pretty decent 1911, especially at $450 new which is what I paid for it. But it came with an aluminum anodized frame (lightweight for CC) which scratched if you looked at it wrong. This new finish is much hardier and can be cleaned with H2O and soap if needed.

greener

Post by greener » Thu May 05, 2011 7:40 am

Excellent work. What powder coating did you use?

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu May 05, 2011 9:07 am

Came out good. Looks like it was never refinished.
David

Custom Built 1911

gcp
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by gcp » Thu May 05, 2011 5:03 pm

Sprylat is the company that made this color (Persian Grey) but my guy mixed in a bit of texture, per my request, for better gripping capability. Couldn't be happier with the results but lets see how she shoots over the weekend.

I bought this inexpensive pistol to learn how to tune a 1911 and thus far it has served its purpose. I was able to stone the hammer, sear, and trigger bow contact surfaces to a 3.5 lb crsip trigger pull. Learning can be fun :D