MK11 hammer source

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

boomer47
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

MK11 hammer source

Post by boomer47 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:03 pm

I found that AMT made a pistol years ago that was a clone of the Ruger MK11 and looked up some parts for the AMT at Numrich.
They still have hammers listed so I ordered a couple of them hoping to find a source for MK11 hammers.
If what I got is an indication of AMT quality I can see why you don't see many of those pistols around.
First off, you have to order the hammer, strut and pin seperately and put them together yourself. One of the pins will not fit either hammer and the hammers themselves look like they have been under water for about 10 years, not to mention the machine marks that are so deep they can't be polished out without changing the dimensions of the hammer.
I'm talking about REALLY rough metal work.
My suggestion is that if you really need a MK11 hammer go ahead and spend the extra money and get one of the VQ's from Rimfire Sports. Costs twice as much but a much better deal all around.
I managed to make one serviceable hammer out of the parts I ordered and the cost for those two would just about pay for one VQ ready to install.

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:28 pm

experience is a helluva-strict teacher... isn't it?

sorry for your "lesson", but I do appreciate you taking the time
to let us less-experienced students know what to expect.

I'm just glad we have options/choices with the Ruger-MKs
(10/22s, too)...