Argentine Colt 45acp problem

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

derree

Post by derree » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:54 pm

I have an Argentine 1911A1 1927 45acp DGFM-FMAP pistol that was made in Argentina using Colt machinery and personnel. I tried to install a Colt aftermarket extended safety and an extended slide release to no avail. Aren't all Colt parts interchangeable with this pistol? I know not all Colt parts are interchangeable with the Argentine Balester Molina 1911 model.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:10 pm

Generally all 1911 models are compatible but not all parts are "drop-in" interchangeable. Dynamic parts like safeties have to be individually fit to each pistol. There's a manufacturing tolerance that must be met and this means slight variations between individual pistols. Otherwise pistols would be assembled on a automated production line just like cars. There would be no need for gunsmiths to hand-fit individual components.

R,
Bullseye

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:36 pm

derree,
doesn't the Argentine 1911 have a dog legged slide release?

I seem to remember seeing one of these pictured somewhere and thought it was a great idea, it would place the slide release closer to the right thumb for usage without having to reposition the hand as in Colts original design.

I rarely use the slide release, preferring to slingshot the slide and control the slides forward movement when closing it on an empty chamber, but thought it was a good modification.

FWIW
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

derree

Post by derree » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:02 pm

The type of Argentine I have does not have any sort of "dog leg" slide release. There are two other types of Argentine 1911's. One was made by the Colt factory in the U.S. for Argentina and the other was called a "Ballesta Molina" made by a Brazillian factory. Maybe one of those has the "dog leg" slide release. Thanks for the input.