1911 Sight Questions-What questions do I need to ask?

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

1911 Sight Questions-What questions do I need to ask?

Post by greener » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:18 pm

Still fiddling with my front sightless project 1911. Before I glue/solder/JB weld a replacement sight I've been filing, I've looked for simple "drop in" fixes. Other than there ain't no sech animal, I'm still looking. http://www.precisionsights.com/Product/ ... _page.html Has an interesting fiber optic, adjustable rear sight set. The response to a fit question was
The Bomar was cut for the original dovetail of .330...however you might check into this yourself with a micrometer. If so our TTF series does work. Yopu need to check the width of the front sight first however. If it is .080 then you have the standard 1911 A1 or the TTF45CT...if it is .120 then you have the series 70-80-90 using the TTF80CT
The base of the Bomar sight is 0.330-0.331 by my measurement. I got no front sight but the slot is ~0.080", so it looks like the TTF45CT might fit.

This looks like it might be an interesting way to go with this pistol. What snakes should I look for when trying this?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:06 am

What they're talking about is the width of the front sight tenon. The earlier sights had the narrow tenon (the post that inserts through the slide slot and gets staked in place) and the later model 1911's have a wide tenon. When you look down into the slot you should see a hole into the slide that is the same width as the sight slot, that is where the tenon fits. If the hole is the same width then the TTF45CT will fit. You should also have that new front sight staked on properly.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:42 am

I believe it was my SA 1911A1 Loaded that had a tenon sight and I had my LGS mill it to take a dovetail front sight, just a suggestion. Will have to take the slice off later and have a look, to be sure.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:03 pm

Milling in a front dovetail is the best option but I didn't suggest it because the set he wants comes with a "stake on" front blade. It might be worth asking if they have any optional dovetail blades for the 1911. You'll not lose one again once you dovetail in a replacement.

R,
Bullseye

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:52 pm

Bullseye,
This brings up an idea I've been playing around with.

I carry a Colt 1991 compact for CC. I recently fitted a new bushing as the original broke. When I did that the new point of impact is about 3 1/2" high from a 50' point of aim with both commercial defense loads and my long line loads. The front sight is a .150 and I know they also make .180 which I would go to to bring things back in line.

But here's my thought, if I'm replacing it anyway why not go to a Meprolight or Trijicon replacement front sight. I'm not concerned with the rear as any need for this would be very close and the front sight is what should be catching my eye in dim light situations. I visited with my local smith and he suggested going to a dovetail front sight instead of a staked on because of the special tool required for staking on a "glow in the dark" sight withour crushing it, and I'm the only one who has ever requested this so it would probably be a one time use tool. He basically just builds bullseye 45s so this would be done to take care of a repeat customer. He has both .300 and .330 cutters and Trijicon makes both, so either would work. I'm not concerned about any collector value as all my guns are shooters first, last and always.

Have you ever done this? And if so any preferences on dovetail size?

TIA

FWIW
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:34 pm

Yes, I dovetail front sights for competition pistols but not all are made to the same size dimensions. This means I have to carefully measure the width, depth, and angle all by hand to ensure I cut just the right size dovetail. The sizes are typically .250", .300", and .330" wide. The dovetail angles are either 60° or 65°. Once the cut is made into the slide then some careful hand filing is in order to ensure a snug fit of the blade. Dovetailing is the best solution for a gun that needs a tall front sight or uses a light tube like a night sight. Most times the tenon of the older front sights crack from stress and that causes the sight to fly off. A taller (shark fin) front sight will impart more stress on the tenon because of the extra mass of the tall blade.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Mon May 02, 2011 9:59 pm

I didn't take Bullseye's excellent advice and ordered the set with the tenon front sight. Figure if I have problems I can admit defeat and order another sight set. I ordered the sights from Precision Sales International. The sights came today and I spent an hour or so out on the work bench.

The Bomar sights came off easily once I loosened the set screw.

It took a bit of filing to get the rear sights in and some work to get the front sights in.

Only thing left is to see if it all hold together and can be adjusted on target when I shoot.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue May 03, 2011 12:00 pm

how did you stake in the front sight?
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

greener

Post by greener » Tue May 03, 2011 9:01 pm

Pin punch. I've relented and have ordered a staking tool. May put off shooting until I get that.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Wed May 04, 2011 12:10 am

good call... don't want to play hide and seek with the brand new front sight, eh?

-John Wayne

greener

Post by greener » Sun May 08, 2011 11:18 pm

The sights seem to work pretty well.

8-yard sighting in, only about 6" high to start.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon May 09, 2011 1:21 pm

Nice! :thumbs up:

-John Wayne