Disappointment in Ruger repair quality

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Disappointment in Ruger repair quality

Post by ruger22 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:00 pm

A little over a year ago, I sent my Single Six back to Ruger because it came with an .011 barrel/cylinder gap. Got it back, happy that they had it at about .005. I'm sure you have to re-barrel one to redo the gap (?).

Anyhow, yesterday I decided to remove the ejector housing and thoroughly clean it, as I never had. Normally just clean the slot and spring with cotton swabs and re-oil. Putting it back, it didn't line up right.

With the housing flush against the barrel, the barrel screw hole was a bit below the housing hole. I had to move the end of the housing down, and out from the barrel, to start the screw.

As it tightens, the end of the housing is at an angle to the barrel curve. With one corner touching, the other corner is about 1/16th away from the barrel. It has to twist a little and does fit flush as the screw bottoms.

It had red loctite on the screw, apparently hadn't stuck as screw came out easy. I removed all the loctite and put screw back dry.

I would think that Ruger uses a jig to drill the housing and sight holes in the barrels, possibly even a computer controlled set-up. The sight hole is right, and the warnings are stamped exactly as they should be along side the housing.

It's a minor thing, as it does fit the barrel with the screw tight. I just think that in giving a gun individual attention to correct a problem, they would be extra careful to do the correction work well.

Certainly the repair tech that assembled the gun would have had the same problem I did. Maybe it is supposed to be this way? It would serve to keep tension on the screw and reduce any loosening.

Anyone else have a similar ejector housing fit?
Last edited by ruger22 on Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:20 pm

The first post is long winded enough, but a P.S. here.

I did check the housing against glass. All four corners of the back touch, so it's straight.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:02 pm

Weird thing, I looked at it a while ago, thinking I might try a spare housing I've got, and the original didn't do bad. Found a little curl of metal in the housing that was apparently interfering.

Still threads easier with housing out a pinch, but not crooked. I guess that curl was from machining the housing, and wasn't in the way before. Whooda thunk on a 2008 gun?

My apologies to Ruger.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP