Ruger MKIII recoil spring

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Ruger MKIII recoil spring

Post by piasashooter » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:00 am

I was just wondering if or when a recoil spring should be replaced. My gun functions just fine, but I have about 35,000 rounds through it, and was curious if it is something that should be replaced. like I said it is still reliable, but was thinking it might not hurt to change it. All replies are welcome, thanks.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:24 am

I have not seen any need to routinely replace one. If I see evidence of battering on the bolt stop, when regular high velocity ammo is used, then I may replace the whole recoil spring assembly. The spring is captive on the recoil rod by a factory rivet head pressed onto the rod. Needless to say I have over 150,000 rounds through one of my personal Ruger 22 Autopistols and have not replaced the spring assembly because there's no excessive wear and it still functions fine. Just don't store your pistols with the hammer cocked or the bolt open for long periods of time and you'll prolong the life of the internal springs.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:31 am

I had to replace the RS in my neighbors MKII a couple of years ago, it was purchased in 81. When they get weak it will show up on the "U" end, will distort. It will be pretty obvious when it starts get beaten by the bolt. Like Bullseye said replace the RS Assembly, <$10 was thinking $6 when I bought his.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:16 pm

I checked it out and there does not look to be any abnormal ware on the bolt stop. So I will leave it alone and keep on shooting, thanks.