Trigger Pull

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Bud33
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Trigger Pull

Post by Bud33 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:51 pm

I have replaced the sear and trigger in my MK III-22/45 and have seen some improvement, but I still have a step in the trigger. It isn't like creep as much as a step when I apply pressure there is a step then a snap.
I have decided to try getting rid of the magazine disconnecter ( I really don't see any use for this feature any way), by using a MK II hammer (stock) and a Clark pin and bushing set and see if this will help. Now for the question. When looking on the Clark site, I see two over-sized bushing and pin sets. One is blued and the other is stainless . My thoughts are that there will be less ware in the ss.
What are your thoughts??? :?:
Bud

Beware the man who only has one gun.
HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:48 pm

The wear factor is negligible, use which ever style part you prefer.

R,
Bullseye

Bud33
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Bud33 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:37 pm

Am I right in thinking that the MK II hammer and bushing kit will work in the MK III - 22/45 to remove the magazine disconnecter:?:
Bud

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:52 am

That's what I did to mine to remove the magazine disconnector.

R,
Bullseye

FreeMe

Post by FreeMe » Sat May 05, 2007 1:40 pm

Bullseye, or Bud - I have that same feel to my trigger after installing the VQ sear (amazing how we get pickier with time!). Will removing the mag safety effect the trigger pull? I'm going to do the pin/bushing swap for sure. Is it worth it to swap the hammer on my MKIII with a MKII hammer, if my mags are already ejecting well enough?

Bud33
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Bud33 » Sat May 05, 2007 1:52 pm

I found it to be worth it... I think the Clark bushing and pin are the big part of it but I found that removing the magazine safety was a convenience as much as anything. I like to dry fire and having to have the magazine in was a BIG pain...
Bud

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat May 05, 2007 4:31 pm

As Bud said, the Clark bushing and pin set takes out a lot of the freeplay from the trigger components and tightens up the trigger pull.

Removing the mag disconnect is more of a convenience for disassembly and smoother operation. Right now your magazines are ejecting smoothly but eventually they will start hanging up on the mag disconnector hook. Using a Mark II hammer and bushing is the simplest of changes because all you're doing is retrofitting the earlier model's parts into the newer pistol. There are alternatives but that takes a little fitting or some machining work. I've made special bushings to replace the mag disconnect parts, special washers, and recently added a procedure to use common hardware to remove these components.

The choice is up to you. If you're happy with the performance of your pistol there's no need to alter it any further. Not everyone wants to remove the mag safety. That set up really has a negligible effect on trigger pull. Some pistols off the production line have really good triggers and perhaps you've received one of these, especially if you don't feel any difference post VQ sear installation. Almost everyone has commented how much of an improvement the target sear makes in the feel of the trigger.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

FreeMe

Post by FreeMe » Sat May 05, 2007 5:15 pm

Thanks for the reply, guys.

I'm afraid I wasn't clear in my comment about my trigger feel - what I meant was that it felt the same as what Bud describe of his after the same mod. It is much better than it came - but after living with it for some time now, I can detect that little creep and it feels to me just as Bud described.

I get to shoot my 22s quite a lot and I don't compete - so I don't feel any need to dry-fire (with them anyway). So I think I'll get the pin&bushing kit for now and leave the hammer on the back burner.

That way - I can spring for the VQ trigger sooner instead. :P

FreeMe

Post by FreeMe » Sat May 05, 2007 5:29 pm

Oh - but wait! :? ...The Clarke oversize bushing - it only works with the MKII hammer, right? So if I want the oversize pin and bushing, I have to go with the MKII hammer?

If that's correct, then my mags will soon be dropping free. :wink:

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun May 06, 2007 1:37 am

Yes, you'll need a Mark II hammer to go with the Clark oversized bushing kit.

R,
Bullseye

FreeMe

Post by FreeMe » Sun May 06, 2007 11:07 pm

Thanks, Bullseye! Well, that settles that - I'll be doing both soon.