Mark II / III bolt stops break?

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Mark II / III bolt stops break?

Post by ruger22 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:35 pm

Ordered some new springs so I can use what I have with the VQ kit. I noticed that the Ruger store has both blued and stainless bolt stops listed separately, and the pivot pins to install them. Is replacing ever necessary? I can imagine the stop, and the bolt itself, getting gradually beat up over time, but not actually failing.

I remember one post here where someone had a bolt stop crack. I think the consensus was that it missed heat treatment.

I have the entire mainspring / latch / bolt stop assembly as a spare, and I hope that will do me until I'm ten toes up.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:42 pm

It has only happened rarely. Sometimes the failure is a result of folks who use hyper velocity ammo against the factory's recommendations. Having the parts available is no big deal for Ruger since they have to purchase them in big lots to keep the production line running smoothly.

R,
Bullseye

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:25 pm

Thanks, Bullseye. I feel better. Just seemed like Ruger would not list them individual in the store, unless they were a common order. Especially since they are not shown as a separate part in the manual. I didn't know before that they were available separate from the assembly.

My mainspring housing assembly, along with some of the other parts I've stashed, is meant for a distant future tune-up on my then elderly Mark III. Parts won't be getting any cheaper than now.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:19 pm

Ordered late enough yesterday that the order hadn't been packed this morning, so I added a stop and two pins. Glad they weren't their usual fast this time!

Not really that worried, but I looked over my parts list. I have a mainspring, ball, and latch pin. Adding a stop, I will be able to rebuild the assembly at some point, so it seemed a useful addition to my "inventory".
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP