FN Browning 1922

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

FN Browning 1922

Post by piasashooter » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:08 am

Hello, I have a FN Browning 1922, when shooting one day the gun stopped firing, turned out it was a broken firing pin. I purchased a new firing pin from Brownells and after installing it the gun has light strikes and failure to fire. It was always fired before. All I could think of is stretching the firing pin spring a bit but that did not work. So if any one has knowledge of these pistols your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:35 am

This is a striker-fired pistol and the spring may be worn out and need replacing with a new one. Another couple of things I'd check is the overall length of the firing pin and see if it drags in the firing pin tunnel.

R,
Bullseye

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:27 pm

The overall length is the same on both pins, at least it appears to be very close but since the old pin is broke I have to hold the two pieces together wile comparing the two. The pin seems to slide freely in the tunnel, I cleaned the tunnel out real good before I put the new pin in.I guess it could just be the spring but the gun fired every time with the old firing pin which used the original spring.Also while I'm here, what would cause the brass to expand on the fired rounds through the my Browning. The brass diameter flares out a little after the base up to the top.It's a .32 pistol, I was shooting .32 auto ammo.There is not a difference between .32 acp and .32 auto is there? Well that's all I will bother you with for now , and thanks for the help.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:59 pm

They're the same, 32 Auto is just another name for the 32 ACP cartridge.

How bad is the case flaring? It is not unusual for the brass case to expand to the dimensions of the chamber when firing. In fact, it is necessary for the hot gasses to be sealed off from the chamber and not vented back into the receiver.

R,
Bullseye

99/100
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by 99/100 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:11 pm

I'm not familiar with this particular pistol but when the pin broke it could have resulted in damage to the spring. In which case you might look here
http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20P ... mID3/dID51

I had a heck of a problem with a Bernardelli till I replaced the spring

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:01 am

Bullseye, it's hard to say exactly how much it flares with out measuring it, a caliper would work good but I don't have one. When comparing it to the brass fired through my CZ 75B it flares much more. I'm not really that worried about it, I don't shoot the gun that often. I have it more for sentimental value than any other reason. The gun belonged to my Grandfather, he bought the gun of a guy on the street asking people for twenty dollars when he was over seas during WWII. My Grandfather started talking to the guy and they ended up working out the deal of twenty dollars for the gun. So it has a neat story along with the fact that it was my Grandfather's. I might try a new spring and see what happens. THANK YOU.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:53 am

A lot of those were WWII trophy guns brought back by GI's from Europe. I can understand the sentimental attachment to the weapon. I have a Japanese Arisaka Type 99 rifle a relative brought back from the occupation of Japan that I've never shot but keep because it's an interesting piece with a great back story.

R,
Bullseye