1911 Parts?

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

1911 Parts?

Post by greener » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:56 am

Under the category of if it's not really broke, fix it quickly, I've been staring at 1911 parts for my two project guns. Both had the grip safety disabled and very light triggers. The ffl who sold them on consignment would not sell them with safeties disabled and the very light triggers. He replaced some of the parts from his used parts bin.

I've been thinking about replacing the sear, disconnector, hammer and leaf spring on each gun as a start. Option 1 would be to buy individual parts and learn how to fit them into a pistol. The upside would be the entertainment and some savings. The downside is I wasted time and money (see upside entertainment).

Option 2 is buying one of the kits. A bit more expensive to way more expensive and probably more suited to my mechanical skills. Also, these are supposedly mated to give a more precise fit.

The on-line catalogs have more manufacturer's and stuff than I can count. Any advice/experience on which one's work well?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:42 am

Without the tools and skills to mate the hammer and sear the kits are a better way. Ed Brown makes some good parts. You shouldn't need to replace the disconnector or the leaf spring. Depending on the trigger you may want to replace it, but be warned that triggers are not usually drop-in parts. The width and height typically need fitting to function in a particular frame.

R,
Bullseye