MK lll fireing pin return spring

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

woody57

MK lll fireing pin return spring

Post by woody57 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:08 pm

I was cleaning my MKlll today getting ready for this Sundays Bullseye competition. When I took out the firing pin I found that the return spring was broken. I know I have no chance to get a new spring before Sunday. Will the gun still function? How big a problem is this for Sundays Match.
woody

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:24 pm

If the firing pin is not return to it's rest position, the hammer will not have anything to hit. So you will get Fail to Fire an Light strikes. A broken spring is better than no spring. At least you will get the FP back where the hammer can hit it but it may not firm.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

woody57

Post by woody57 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:21 pm

Well it has been awhile since my original post for this problem. I wanted to let you all know what the out come was.
The month before I had shoot scores that would move me up to Sharphooter.
Long overs due, but some are slow to pick things up and that was me. Anyway I later found out that I needed more that more then the 270 rounds to make Sharoshooter. I needed another 90 rounds to accomplish my immediate goal. So I was distressed that the .22 was out of action. I emailed the guy that runs our matches and asked if I just shoot the centerfire and .45 portion of the match would that still qualify me. He emailed me back that he had a MKll that I could take the bolt out and put in my MKlll. Great I was in business.
Well not so fast. The Mkll bolt would not Fit in the MKll because of the LIC. But I had read the sticky about how to remove the LIC. I took it out, That did the trick. The MKll bolt went in and I shot my best .22 leg.
The weather was really terrible that day. Cold, raining, and very windy. The tarp that we put over the shooting area was not helping to keep us dry. Then the wind pick up even more. We ended up canceling the rest of the match.
I was wet and cold I was wondering if I was going to be able to stay out till 2:30. and finish so when it was brought up to stop I as all for it. I had a PR, I was ready to stop.
Woody