MKII Mag "sticky"

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Tony S45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

MKII Mag "sticky"

Post by Tony S45 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:31 pm

Need to tune a couple of my MKII mags that are giving a nose-up problem when feeding. Can't remember where I saw a "sticky" that gave an explanation of the poper mag lip gap and how to taper the ends, etc. Can some one direct me to this info please.

Thanks.

Tony

smokey
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by smokey » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:15 pm

I don't know of a sticky for this one but this may help with your problem.
http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2008 ... tweak.html

Tony S45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tony S45 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:25 pm

smokey:

Thanks. That really helps.

I have nine MKII mags and all of them have the straight sharp corners pictured in the article. However, the gun has NEVER given me a single stovepipe in 5k+ rounds. This nose-up development with one particular mag may be just part of the symptoms caused by the sharp leading edges of the rear lips.

I will take the authors advise and go slowly rounding and smoothing the edges on the one offending mag and then go shooting. The front pair of lips seem to be quite similar in shape and dimension as my other mags so I'll leave them alone.

One other tidbit. I shoot this gun in Bullseye and Action Pistol so the mags are loaded with five or seven rounds depending on the match and I can't recall ever loading any of them to ten. Perhaps if I had used the mags fully loaded, the problems including stovepipes would have happened earlier.

smokey
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by smokey » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:59 am

I only had an occasional stovepipe on my 2 Marks. I slightly rounded the corners on the magazines as shown and installed VQ exact edge extractors. I have not had a stovepipe since. :D

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:32 pm

If I recall the mags are pretty hard, so removing material fast may not happen. My MKIII had feeding problem when I got it with 1 of the 2 mags. What I found was the forward lips of the bad mag was wider by about 0.020" over the working mag. I ended up using a punch to support the inside why I squeezed the outside with a vice (brass jaws). Once tweeked never a problem but I also installed a VQ Exact edged extractor for insurance.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Tony S45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tony S45 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:03 pm

Roger on the VQ extractor.

What's a "correct" measurement on the distance between the forward (or back) lips?