Magazine storage?

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Magazine storage?

Post by ruger22 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:22 pm

No, I don't mean the stack of Playboys in the attic.

I normally disassemble and brush out my Mark III mags with a coffee percolator brush. I touch up any bare spots with Super Blue on a cotton swab, put each one in a zip lock plastic bag, and roll it up.

On the last range trip, I found the two I took had a bit of rust beginning under the follower buttons. It rubbed off with a pencil eraser, but bothered me. I checked the rest of my mags, and they were okay. So now I'll oil the button slots with a little oil on a swab.

The Beretta mags get the same brushing and touch-up, but they get stored in a Plano box that fits them perfect. Never any problem with them.

Maybe the Rugers need out of the plastic bags?
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

greener

Post by greener » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:56 pm

Did you put those up with a bit of moisture in the bags? I think I'd rub on a bit of oil before wrapping them up in the bags.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:13 pm

I don't keep anything inside sealed plastic bags. Plastic easily can trap moisture vapor and cause a corrosion situation. We used to use plastic to make solar stills, the difference between air temperature throughout the day caused moisture to condense on underside of the plastic and then slope it with a stone to collect drinking water. A similar situation happens with a closed plastic bag, the differences in ambient air temperature in and out of the bag causes moisture to condense. The bags you see firearms shipped in are specially impregnated with silica to reduce the moisture content inside. Remember, oil is a good coating to prevent evaporated water from corroding your firearms but oil floats on water. If water droplets come in contact with your firearm the oily coating is compromised.

R,
Bullseye

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:29 am

You're overdoing it, if you ask me. Wipedown and into the open bin that lives on top of the gun cabinet… or right back in the range box.

If I got fancy I'd make cutouts in the foam of some pistol cases

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:36 am

bigfatdave wrote:You're overdoing it, if you ask me.
I did ask all you guys, and you all have my line of thought. Thanks for the input.

I think I'll skip the plastic bags, and just stick 'em in a Crown Royal bag. Maybe that will give them more class, too. I scavenged a a hundred or so of them from a local restaurant, and this is another way they will come in handy.

No, I've never tried Crown Royal, but it must be good, as much as that restaurant goes through in a week......
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:10 am

If I got fancy I'd make cutouts in the foam of some pistol cases
Keep an eye on foam storage boxes. Foam is a petroleum product and as such is affected by oil which causes it to break down more quickly. When foam insulation breaks down it turns into a highly corrosive compound to metal. I line my foam containers with a layer of cotton to insulate the metal firearms from direct contact with the foam. The cotton (old T-shirt material) soaks up any excessive oil and prevents the metal from directly touching the foam. I found this out the hard way when one of my stored firearms went unopened in a foam lined container for more than a year. When I finally opened it the degrading foam was beginning to corrode the edges of the pistol.

R,
Bullseye

DeerSpy
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by DeerSpy » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:24 pm

I would not store any thing in foam I bought one of those safes that had foam where the barrel rested and had to go out of town to work so I oiled every thing up good and locked up was gone almost two years when i got back the foam had melted and cemented it's self to barrels on 7 guns what a mess it did not rust but I like to never got it off

I just clean and oil my mags the wrap with soft cotton rag and store in safe

arizona-hermit
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by arizona-hermit » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:27 pm

I just put them in the safe and let the dehumidifier do its job ;-)
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain. [1 COR 15:10a - NASB]