LSP Scope Mount

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

boomer47
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

LSP Scope Mount

Post by boomer47 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:57 am

I thought I'd start a new topic on this and not burrow it in the "trouble shooting" topic with my other post's on the subject.
This is the mount I ordered from Brownell's. Gives a few more options on where to place the rings.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:22 pm

Boomer, I like that mount. It looks like there's a lot more flexibility with mounting scopes than the traditional weaver mounts. It has that picitinny look to the slots. Who is LSP? Was there a long name in the packaging?

R,
Bullseye

boomer47
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by boomer47 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:04 pm

Bullseye,

It's made by:

Lebanon Screw Products,Inc. ( I bet the Israeli's could do something with that name today)

The e-mail is [email protected] Ph. No. is 802-674-6347.

I don't see a web site for them and Brownell's is the only source I've seen for the mount.

R,Jack

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

lsp mount

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:33 pm

Jack, like the mount aall those slots will help with sight placement, the only rawback is that the rear sight has to be removed. Like to teke the scopes off and use the iron sights with one P512 in each hand.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

boomer47
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by boomer47 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:51 pm

Len,

Like you, I like to keep the iron sights available. I'm going to cut that mount off to where it just clears the rear sight so I can put the sight back on and still have all those slots to mount the rings where I want.
Brownell's pic of the mount looks like it is short enough to clear the rear sight but that is not the case. Tac-Sol shows one with all the slots and a rear sight built into the mount but that seems a tad expensive given that the Ruger rear is a good sight.
But, it would make a neat looking rig.

R,Jack

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:10 pm

Thanks Boomer, I googled these guys and got a hit. Check this site out http://www.lsp-vt.com/shootacc.htm

These are the suppliers. You should talk to them and see if they'll make a shorter version of that mount.

R,
Bullseye

boomer47
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by boomer47 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:26 am

Bullseye,

After taking a good look at it I see that this mount is thicker and stands up higher than the ruger mount. I'm not sure the rear sight blade notch would be high enough to get a sight picture above the mount with the irons installed.
I'll check it out and get back. I have my UltraDot mounted on it now and like the way I can center the scope between rings with this mount so I may just leave it as is and forget the irons on this pistol.
It is a well made mount and comes with hex head screws.
I decided to go ahead and take a closer look and the UltraDot turret is just too long to get both rings on the mount if I cut it back to clear the rear sight. Should work with any scope that has a turret length of 1.5 inches or so. The UltraDot turret is 2+3/16ths and is about a half inch too long for this project.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:48 am

Boomer if you have a dail caliper, what is the measurement of the scope mount height, from the top of the receiver to the bottom of the scope mount curve. I'll run the numbers and see if the rear sight blade can see over that mount.

R,
Bullseye

boomer47
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by boomer47 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:46 am

Bullseye,

Your measurement is 0.195. I mounted the rear sight and mount and it will be ok as long as you don't have to bottom out the elev. adj.
As far as mounting the UltraDot on the shortened mount goes, I'm looking for some narrower rings than the 4 screw B-Squares I'm using now. I only need something like a 1/4-5/16ths reduction in the ring/ base length to make it work. An offset ring would work but I don't see that in 30mm/silver anywhere yet either.
The narrow rings in 30mm and silver are out there somewhere, I just can't find them yet.
I don't want the vertical split rings because I"d lose zero when removing the scope as both screws have to be loosened to get them off the mount and that frees up the scope also.
I'll keep at it and keep you informed if I make any progress.

boomer47
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by boomer47 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:35 pm

I should have started here in the first place. These Weigand rings should take care of the problem.
I have an e-mail in to Jack asking for the front to rear length of the ring but it looks more narrow than the 3/4 in. B-Squares I'm using now.

http://tinyurl.com/p6roh

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:51 pm

Boomer, did Wiegand ever get back to you on those lightweight ring sizes?

R,
Bullseye

boomer47
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by boomer47 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:17 pm

Bullseye,

No. I don't think I made it clear as to which measurement I was looking for. Jack answered a couple of times with the ring size but he was stating the inside diameter of the rings, not the front to rear width of the top ring which is what I was looking for.
Anyway, after seeing the rings on his web site it looks to me like they will do the trick.
I ordered a set and they should be here Monday. I'll let you know how they work out after I see if I can get the UltraDot installed on the shortened base and still get the rear sight installed.

boomer47
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by boomer47 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:47 pm

Bullseye,
The Weigand rings came in today and here is the end result after trimming the LSP mount to clear the rear sight.
There is about a cats hair of space left between the rings and turret but the scope does fit between them now and I can leave the rear sight with the OneRaggedHole blade on.
Now to find some stainless screws for the rings and I think I'll leave it alone.
After all the Ruger MK's I've gone through in the past 20 months since I got the first one, this is the one I'll keep for myself.

R,Jack

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:36 pm

Jack those rings look good on that pistol, they'll do what you want now. I see the balance is right over your hand which should give you quite a nice feel to that pistol. I kind of like the two-toned look those screws have on that sight. Since your pistol and sights already have some blued and silver parts the screw heads in the rings add a more classy look to me.

R,
Bullseye

boomer47
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by boomer47 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:51 pm

Bullseye,

You are right. The more I look at it the more I think I'll just leave the screws alone. I have been playing around with getting a silver colored trigger for so long that I overlooked the rest of it.
In any case the only mods left that I can think of is to cut that mount down in two pieces to where I only use the space required to mount the rings and have no part of the mount visable from the side, just the back piece with one screw holding it and the front piece using two screws and the ring bases hiding the mount itself.

I have another one for your "trouble shooting" page but it may not be one that most people will want to do:
We all keep having trouble with the hammer strut getting caught behind the sear spring pin while taking the pistol apart or getting it back together again.
Knowing that I could not trim the end of the strut, I just took the pin out and reduced the diameter of it for a half inch in the center of the pin. There is no pressure on the center of the pin and very little on the ends.
It only takes about a 1/16th in. reduction in the diameter to do away with the hung strut. The strut in mine will now swing freely and not get caught by the pin.
You would have thought that by now Ruger would have relocated the pin just a little lower and done away with the problem, giving all the trouble it causes with new owners now.