best mount location for red dot

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

SShearer

best mount location for red dot

Post by SShearer » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:26 pm

I'm going to put a red dot on my wad gun and need to know where the best place to mount it is, the slide or the frame. The gun isn't as tight as used to be and I'm concerned that accuracy will suffer with a frame mount . Also is there a special kind of mount for the slide on a 1911. Thanks

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:17 am

I've shot both and prefer the slide mount. I use a Clark slide mount as the hole spacing is the same as my Bomar Rib open sights.

The recoil is a bit softer due the the extra weight of the mount and dot.

It's a breeze for takedown and cleaning. And, provided you get rid of the factory rings & put on a set of weavers you can remove the dot and replace it without a a loss of zero.

FWIW
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

SShearer

Post by SShearer » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:39 am

Thanks Stork, I was on Brownells site and they only offer one type of mount for the slide, is that the one to use? It also says it comes with or without the cut out for a tuner, what is a tuner? I know I'll probably have to adjust my load and maybe the recoil spring but what I'm concerned about is sometimes I get cases that eject strait up and back, will that cause problems with a scope in the way? Sorry for all the questions, it was so much simpler putting the red dot on my model 41. Thanks
Steve

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:08 am

Get the one without the tuner cutout.

The tuner cutout was for an L shaped device that applied downward pressure on the back of the barrel. If your barrel is fitted correctly it is unnecessary.

Yes, you will have to play around with your recoil spring. I shoot 3.5 gr Clays and a H&G 130 lead SWC for 50', I use a 11# spring for those.

Outdoors I shoot 4.3gr WST with a H&G 68 for 50yards and 3.8gr Clays for 25 yards, for those I use a 13# spring.

For ejection problems, you may have to fit a new ejector so it dumps the empties out the side. I rarely get an empty trapped between the dot and slide, but it happens. Usually when I forget to change the 13# to 11# and the gun gets dirty.

YMMV
FWIW
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

SShearer

Post by SShearer » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:14 am

Thanks again Stork, thats just the info I was looking for.

Steve

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:42 am

I would recommend the Clark mount too.

Stork already answered this one but I have a picture on file of the tuning section of a Bowmar tuner rib.

The two screws in the tuner section adjust the amount of downward pressure on the barrel hood. The other three screws mount the rib to the slide. It is easy to see the front screws but the rear one is just in front of the rear sight. These are the same screws used for the Clark scope mount. Also one of the Clark mounts has a relief slot cut in the front of it for the pistol's front sight blade. Here's a picture of the Clark Mounts from their website.

I have used one of these light weight aluminum mounts for years. A couple of my personal wad guns have BowMar tuner ribs on them and I have another one with the Clark mount.

If Midway doesn't have them Clark offers them at their web store. http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/1911dtl.htm#clarkslide
Brownell's carries them for $31.

Here's a guy that wants to sell one for $25. http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=104639

R,
Bullseye

SShearer

Post by SShearer » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:31 am

Bullseye,Thats a good deal on the one you found for sale but I already ordered one from Brownells, thanks though.

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:56 am

Good pictures Bullseye.

I had seen them "somewhere" on the web or in Gil Hebards catalog, but couldn't remember where.

It's what I've got on my current wad gun and whats going to be on my next wad gun. If it's not broke, I don't see any point in fixing it.

FWIW

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:53 pm

They also have BoMar tuner ribs with an extended front sight. I tend to shy from these as they can be damaged or bent while handling the pistols.

R,
Bullseye