New 1911 sticky comments thread

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

New 1911 sticky comments thread

Post by Bullseye » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:15 pm

I have created a new sticky in this forum for Match 1911 maintenance. The photos were created and provided by Stork; I simply placed them in the new topic from his photobucket account.

These pictures show lubrication points and installation of the slide onto the receiver with the barrel and bushing installed. This is the recommended method for a match barrel and bushing; you do not want to take the bushing out of the slide repeatedly, as this will eventually loosen the tight tolerance fit between the bushing and slide.

I have locked the sticky topic but created this one to discuss the it. Currently I have used Stork's pictures directly linked off of his photobucket account. Eventually I will download these pictures and add them to the Guntalk-Online server to prevent his photobucket account from exceeding any bandwidth limitations. I will likely resize the photos to a more forum friendly size but for now they are as they appear in his account.

I wish to personally thank Stork for all his hard work. I know how much effort goes into taking photos and then editing in comments.

Feel free to comment here about the sticky.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:24 pm

That method as described is the same way you put the slide and barrel back on an SA Micro or V-10. The only difference is that I leave the slide inverted and slide the frame on instead of turning it over, I turn it over after the spring is covered and then line up th link and insert the pin.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:39 pm

There are a few variations of this method but they are basically the same. This method can be used for any 1911 style pistol. I never teardown a 1911 by rotating the bushing and removing the spring plug and spring anymore. Once you get used to this method it becomes second nature. You just have to be careful to keep good pressure on the spring and spring guide or they will launch themselves. :shock:

R,
Bullseye

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:41 am

You just have to be careful to keep good pressure on the spring and spring guide or they will launch themselves.
Amen to that. One of my shooting buddies used to use the same Rock River hardball gun with a Marvel 22 conversion (this was during the time he was trying to go distinguished, so he shot open sights exclusively).

More than once we would have to call the line safe so we could go forward to search for his recoil spring plug that got launched into the grass when he would try to change over to the 45 slide. He learned how to assemble it my way after the second time.

FWIW
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

greener

Post by greener » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:01 pm

Excellent work.

I've never put that much oil on a 1911. Maybe I should add more.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:55 pm

I use grease instead of oil on the slide. Stays a round a little longer, but the commando are pretty loose. Only had to hit COM at a close range.

Very Good How To Guide.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:41 am

1911 Match guns typically need a lot of oil to keep running well. The tight tolerances between the internal components can cause a lot of friction and end up jamming the action.

R,
Bullseye

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:23 am

My 1911 is no where near as tight (nor is greener's) as a match gun so only a "little dab will do ya" of oil is good.