Snowbound project: V trigger clean-up

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Tony S45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Snowbound project: V trigger clean-up

Post by Tony S45 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:16 am

Installed a dual adjustable Volquartsen trigger, V sear, and Clark bushing in a 22/45 quite some time ago. Very happy except for a "crunchy" feeling as my finger pulls through the slight pretravel portion of the trigger movement. However, in competition I never notice it so I put off the project until Snowmageddan.

Field stripped the gun and worked the trigger system slowly until I found that the trigger plunger seemed to be the culprit! Took out (thanks to this Forum) the hammer, disconnector, trigger, etc. and then was able to work the trigger plunger/spring with my fingers and found that one side of the Volquartsen trigger plunger hole was rough so I wrapped a small piece of #600 sandpaper around a small allen wrench and slowly cleaned up the inside area of the hole.

While it was apart, I also stoned the flat side of the disconnector a wee bit and did the slingshot mod on the slide release and put it back together and now I'm a happy camper awaiting springtime.

Why am I telling this story? Because I'm all thumbs but with the info on this Forum I hope that I have graduated to a "kitchen-table" level Ruger 22/45 & MKII fixer-upper.

BTW, this is not a flame agains Volquartsen. They are great people and provide the shooting public with terrific products with top customer service. Tiny little parts sometimes need attention.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:08 am

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure your findings will help some one. That is not a very common find.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

perazzi

Re: Snowbound project: V trigger clean-up

Post by perazzi » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:20 am

Tony S45 wrote: Why am I telling this story? Because I'm all thumbs but with the info on this Forum I hope that I have graduated to a "kitchen-table" level Ruger 22/45 & MKII fixer-upper.
Welcome to Bullseye's table.. there's always an extra chair available...

More and more, I'm learning why Pistolsmiths exist. For the fine tuning needed for all the little pieces that need to be fitted to each other just so, to make the guns function to it's max.

I no longer believe that a "drop-in" part exists.... :)

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:19 pm

Great minds think alike, I have used that style of fix many times on trigger plunger holes. I usually use a twist drill shank with a little #600 grit sandpaper wrapped around it to polish the inside of the plunger hole.

The plunger hole is just a captive orifice for the plunger, opening it up a little is a great way to smooth up a trigger pull. This is the place where most of the powder residue tends to gather, and a tight tolerance between the plunger and the trigger body will quickly make for a gritty trigger pull feel. I've even gone as far as opening up the hole to the next higher drill body size, a #9 (0.196") twist drill works well for this task. Just be extra careful to only open up the hole and not make it any deeper. Creating a deeper plunger hole will affect the plunger's ability to lift the disconnector and cause misfires due to the trigger's inability to engage the sear.

R,
Bullseye