Uneven 1911 wear

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:51 pm

I got the pistol apart without removing the barrel bushing. Now, is there any technique I am missing on putting it back together with the bushing in place :shock: Short of having three arms, I'm at a loss.

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:40 pm

George,
Start with the CLEAN slide laying upside down in your left hand.

Put several drops of lube into the slide rail recess' on both sides, a couple of drops into the lug recess' on the slide AND put a drop onto the area in the rear of the slide that cocks the hammer. That is also a friction point. While lubing, also deposit 3-4 drops of lube on the frame rail recess', and a drop on the disconnector. Test the disconnector to make sure it moves freely in the recess and hasn't picked up any debris that would impede its movement.

Make sure your barrel is about 1/2" exposed, install your recoil spring plug and center the bushing on it.

Move the barrel all the way back into the slide and seat it into the locking lugs.

Flip your link down tight against the barrel.

Take your guide rod and install the recoil spring on it (making sure it's installed with the tight end of the spring on the guide rod).

Slip the spring/guide rod assembly into the spring plug from the rear and push it against the plug far enough so the rear of the guide rod will clear the end of the link. The horseshoe cut on the guide rod braces against the barrel.

Then brace the end of the guide rod against the end of the link and pinch the entire slide/bbl/recoil spring assembly together with your left hand. At this point you must make sure the link does not flip down. If it does, compress the spring again and flip the link back against the barrel.

Slide the unit onto the frame while keeping it pinched together. As soon as the end of the guide rod is captured by the dust cover on the end of the frame you can stop pinching it together.

Slide it back until the end of the guide rod contacts the frame, compresses and drops the link.

Move the slide/frame back & forth until you can see the bottom hole on the link in the hold for the slide stop, this also distributes the lube.

Put a drop or 2 of lube on the slide stop and insert it.

Move the slide back far enough for the slide stop to snap into place via the half moon cutout on the frame.

Cycle the frame & slide back & forth several more times to finalize the lube distribution. Add a couple of drops of lube where the barrel hood meets the face of the frame and a couple more in the front of the ejection port where the front of the ejection port meets the top of the barrel (this serves to add a little extra lube to the lug area) and finally 3 or 4 drops on the end of the barrel where it contacts the bushing.

You'll know if you have too much lube if it drips off your elbow when shooting.

Shoot to your heats content.

FWIW
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:31 pm

Stork, thanks for the detailed instructions. I don't think I would have been able to get it back together without them.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:26 am

Thanks Stork. You beat me to the answer and wrote a great description of the procedure.

George - the two hardest steps are: one, keeping enough pressure on the recoil spring to hold it in place until you get the slide back on the rails; and two, aligning up the barrel link with the slide stop hole to allow the stop to insert properly. The best way to do this is like Stork said, push the slide rearward enough to relieve pressure on the link from the recoil spring guide. Then you can tilt the front of the barrel downward slightly and the link will drop freely into place so you can insert the slide stop pin.

This is one of those procedures that are far easier to demonstrate than to describe.

R,
Bullseye

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:45 am

Video to follow??

:lol:

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:34 am

Never thought of it before but that is the way you put the slide and barrel back on an SA Micro or V10 with the double captive spring. Do it all the time with my carry guns, sometimes things get away from you if you do not keep pressure on the spring assembly.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:50 am

If I had a clue on how to upload a you tube video I would.

It's one of those process' that once you see it, you smack yourself & think-- this isn't that hard.

I could shoot a series of still's with the digital, but don't have a clue on posting them on the net with a link to here. I know, I know, it probably isn't that hard, but I just don't want to take the time to figure it out for myself.

FWIW
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:32 pm

If you want to post them in a new topic. I will make them a sticky.

R,
Bullseye

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:50 pm

Bullseye,
I'll shoot the pics & narrative this weekend. As this will be a fairly large pkg, how do I get it to you for posting?

Stork

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:17 pm

Do you have a Photobucket account? If you do then, you can just click <new topic> and throw it up here in the technical forum. I'll see the new topic and make it a sticky. If you don't have a photo hosting account, then you can e-mail me the pictures, and I'll put them up on my server.

R,
Bullseye