Sear Locks

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

3MJOHN

Sear Locks

Post by 3MJOHN » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:30 pm

Bullseye,
When I replaced the disconector in my MKII I had no difficulty in reassembling and the pistol worked just fine.
I decided to completely break down the MKII over the weekend and have run into a problem. After assembly I cock the pistol and the sear locks up. I have to break down the pistol and free the sear. I don't know why this keeps happening so I thought it best to seek assistance.
I'm sure it is nothing huge but I don't want too do any damage. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!!

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:06 pm

David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:29 pm

Hi John, welcome to Guntalk-online!

My first question is where exactly is the sear hanging up? Is it on the new disconnector? Or is it on the hammer pin bushing?

R,
Bullseye

3MJOHN

Post by 3MJOHN » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:52 pm

Bullseye,
It appears to be the hammer pin bushing.
John

Thanks to blue68F100

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:57 pm

I would check the edges of the new disconnector for any burrs or sharp edges. That new disconnector is stamped out of titanium and may have a harsh edge. I would also break the edges, slightly, with a small needle file to ensure that it doesn't hang up on the bushing.

R,
Bullseye

3MJOHN

Post by 3MJOHN » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:21 pm

Sounds good, Bullseye. I'll get to it tomorrow
evening. Want to be fresh.
Appreciate the assistance.
John

3MJOHN

Post by 3MJOHN » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:05 pm

Forgive me for not getting back sooner. A case of the flu and into pneumonia
set me back. Even when I got back to work I was ready for bed by the time I got home.
After following all advice I still have the same problem with the MKII. The sear just keeps locking up on me.
Not sure where to go from here. The thing that rubs me is that I am probably doing something very simple wrong.
Any further advice?
Happy New Year to all.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:42 pm

Why did you replace the old disconnector?

R,
Bullseye

3MJOHN

Post by 3MJOHN » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:54 pm

Bullseye,
I replaced the disconnector because the old one broke into two pieces. The break was vertical just behind where the disconnector fits into the trigger. It was a clean break.
It happened while I was shooting.
Thanks for your quick response, Bullseye. I was watching the Boston Bruins play Philadelphia. Needed something to cheer me up. If we had the money that has been spent on tickets, legally and illegally, we could own a big chunk of Ruger.
Thanks

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:27 am

That explains it then. I was going to suggest you try to reinstall the old factory one but that's out of the question now. Do you have any pretravel or postravel settings on the trigger? If you do, you may need to back out those screws to facilitate the reset process with the new disconnector lever. Was the Disconnector pivot pin very tight when you installed it in the top of the trigger? When you squeeze (and hold) the trigger does the disconnector lever move freely (up and down) when you press on it with the receiver removed?

This may be one of those situations where the cause of the hang-up may need to be inspected to determine. I don't think you did anything to cause it, this just may be a fitting issue with the new disconnector lever. It sounds like the tab on the disconnector lever is not resetting to the proper place on the back of the sear.

R,
Bullseye