Clark Bushing Question

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:03 pm

Tony,

If the sear face is not dragging on the front of the hammer and the Clark bushing is related to the problem, because the pistol with the stock bushing installed there are no light strikes, then another possibility exists: the hammer pivot pin is too tight in the bushing causing drag on the hammer. Did it feel extremely tight when you installed the hammer pivot pin? If so, you can place a little polishing compound on the pin and insert it into the bushing. Twist it around many times then remove it and clean the pin and hammer bushing pin hole very thoroughly. Reinsert the hammer pivot pin and see that the drag is reduced and the pin moves like it's on glass. If not, repeat the process until it does then you should be fine.

R,
Bullseye

Tony S45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tony S45 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:44 pm

Yes, I'm extremely late with this reply but sometimes deadlines & commitments get in the way of fun. Rather than start a new subject, I ask for your indulgence:

(1) Rechecked the internals of my MKII and found that the sear was really dragging on the hammer radius so I cleaned that up quickly. Did NOT touch the hooks.
(2) Rechecked the Clark bushing and pin and found that they were quite snug so took your advise, Bullseye, and cleaned them up as well.

After these simple clean-up items with the gun apart the hammer swings effortlessly. Also installed a Volquartsen firing pin. Comparing the original 5000+ round factory firing pin with the new Volquartsen disclosed that the new V is a tad bit longer. Don't have a micrometer available to measure but the difference was visible to the eyeball. Made sure that the headspace allowed for the tad longer firing pin to avoid damage to the chamber. Stoned the new firing pin to help it smoothly glide in the bolt channel.

Have now put a few hundred rounds through the gun and it performs perfectly even using bulk Federal. I'm a happy shooter thanks to this Forum!

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:06 pm

Good deal! Have fun shooting your pistol.

R,
Bullseye