Removing Heavy Rust

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Removing Heavy Rust

Post by Downeaster » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:07 pm

Long story, but I've been entrusted with a criminally abused Browning BPS in an attempt to clean it up. It's been used by a duck hunting guide and lived around salt water all it's life, apparently without ever having the outside of it wiped down.

Incredibly, the internal workings are fine and the bore looks pretty good, it's just that the entire outside is one giant pile of rust.

I'm aware of the steel wool and gun oil approach for rust removal. However, I've used electrolysis on other tools to remove the rust and would like to start with that here as well.

My question is, will that damage the bore? I don't see a problem with the other bits, I have the thing completely stripped and the stock removed so I can dunk the reciever housing, magazine tube, pump action arms, etc. I'm just a little nervous about screwing up the relatively unharmed bore.

Opinions, ideas and suggestions welcomes.

(Other than pistol-whipping the moron that allowed the weapon to get into this condition...)
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:54 pm

Bead blasting may be a better way to go with that one.

R,
Bullseye

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:03 pm

After closer inspection of the barrel in better light, I decided it was not salvageable. Too much pitting in the chamber.

On the assumption that a used barrel could be found, I went ahead and detail stripped the receiver and did the electrolytic rust removal on it this morning.

Here it is after being hauled out of the soup and patted dry with a paper towel.

and after being rubbed down with 000 steel wool and mineral spirits, dried thoroughly and rubbed down again with Kleenbore Gun Conditioner.

Other than pitting, it looks pretty good. I'm thinking of painting it with DuraCoat or a similar product.

I've pulled the trigger group apart and cleaned it all up an lubed it, everything looks good there too. So, if the owner is willing to spring for a barrel, he'll have a shooter.

If not, I've spent a rainy Sunday fooling with guns. Lots worse ways to spend yer time :P
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:42 pm

Duracoat or parkerizing would be good options. Parking would mask a little more of the pitting as it is already a rough style finish.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:30 pm

What an abused gun. And a Browning at that.

Even with a heavily pitted barrel it should be usable still. All shotgun shells use wadding to incapuslate the shot, shot should not come in contact with the barrel. Now if the pitting is so bad that it tears up the wadding or has weakened the chamber area then by all means a replacement barrel.

If you were to use wax or some putty to seal the barrel you should be able to use your electrollices to clean the barrel. I don't know if the silver solder use to attached the rib will be affected.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911