Sam's Bushings

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Sam's Bushings

Post by greener » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:51 pm

I just replaced the mag disconnects on my MKIII's with bushings made by Sam Lam. In easy and work well. Will have to see how they work with ammo.

I wasn't too interested in removing the mag disconnect until a few weeks ago. I guess my next move will be the LCI's. :lol:

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:10 pm

Sam makes a superb product, for a fair price.
I hope he's making some profit off of them, but it can't be much.

quickslider

Post by quickslider » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:21 pm

Ordered two bushings from Sam and installed them this week. They work great...no more mag in mag out pull trigger bla bla bla. Well worth 10 bucks.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:56 am

Sam's using the production specifications I posted several years ago in my Magsafe eliminator bushing diagram. He wrote me and asked if I'd test them for him. I told him that wasn't necessary as long as he stuck to the dimensions in the drawing. He did and the rest is history. Here's a link to one the earlier postings on the bushing design. http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/vie ... =1223#1223

R,
Bullseye

langenc

Post by langenc » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:26 pm

Do those bushings make the mag pop out farther when the button is pushed??

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:53 am

langenc wrote:Do those bushings make the mag pop out farther when the button is pushed??
If by "pop out farther" you mean "drop on the ground if you don't catch them" ... then yes, they do.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:16 am

It allows the magazines to drop freely, because there's no metal hook pinching against the mag body preventing it from releasing cleanly.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:17 am

bigfatdave wrote:
langenc wrote:Do those bushings make the mag pop out farther when the button is pushed??
If by "pop out farther" you mean "drop on the ground if you don't catch them" ... then yes, they do.
I don't consider allowing a magazine with a hard plastic base to free-fall to a concrete floor that much of an advantage. I didn't consider the mag disconnect to be that much of a disadvantage since I almost never shoot or want to shoot the pistols without inserted magazines. My late conversion to getting rid of the mag disconnect came when I finally got around to doing the sling shot mod on my MKIII 22/45 and I got a first hand refresher on what a pain it was to handle a disconnector with a handfull of loose parts.

It was a case of too soon old and too late smart. Besides, I think the bushing takes out little slop in the hammer. One of those round tuits I'm glad I finally bumped into.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:45 am

Depending on how much side to side play you had in your hammer, any thing would improve it. My MKIII had over a 1/4" side play to the point it had done some damage to the sear's edge. I think the Clark Bushing is slightly better due to it's over size friction fit into the hammer. But like you said removing the mag disconnect was a big improvement to the trigger, eliminating some if not all of the creap in the trigger. Beside ease of assembly. I really like the mags to drop clear of the gun when released.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

greener

Post by greener » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:01 am

I didn't have that much play in either of mine. The Hunter has the VQ hammer/trigger/sear upgrade and the 22/45 has the VQ trigger/sear upgrade. I thought the triggers were darned good with the mag disconnect gitteritous in place. I was sort of surprised that the bushing made a noticeable improvement in the trigger feel.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:47 pm

I had over 0.005" clearance in the bushing to hammer and close to 0.006" in the disc bar to the bushing these along just made mine terrible. I don't know if the factory bushing was so far out of spec (smaller OD) to make mine that bad. I was surprised that the hammer actually damaged the sear on mine. All of these stacked together really impacts the trigger. I have yet to shoot a gun with a mag disc that does not impacted the trigger. My BHP was pretty good once I polished all of the surfaces. But soon as it got dirty (>50 rounds) it would get gritty, so I disabled it to.

I have tricked out the trigger on my MKIII all the way. I had a guy (a regular) shoot mine at the indoor range and compare it to his 41, he said mine was actually better than his 41. Made me feel pretty good, making all the work I did worth it. I warn those who shoot mine because the trigger is so light and smooth, and the first shoot still surprises them.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:20 pm

greener wrote:I don't consider allowing a magazine with a hard plastic base to free-fall to a concrete floor that much of an advantage.
That's why you catch them, they always drop in the exact same path.
On the other hand, letting the mags fall into a grassy outdoor range is pretty much OK, I've been known to let the fall when burning up some bulk ammo in a rapid-fire drill.