MK III uppers cracked

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

OpsMgr
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by OpsMgr » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:22 pm

Great thread - Thanks!
The tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
- Thomas Jefferson

ddd482

Post by ddd482 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:43 pm

tag for outcome

Bud33
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Bud33 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:58 pm

Maybe I missed it, but has anybody contacted Ruger on this.... If it is a crack, I am sure they would like to know....
Bud

Beware the man who only has one gun.
HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:49 pm

Keithj has sent them an e-mail inquiring about the problem. I don't believe that Ruger has received the cracked ones from Davidson's yet.

R,
Bullseye

rugerguy

Post by rugerguy » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:00 pm

very GOOD pictures.......... I just saw this over on the rugerforum and had to comment...we saw one last year ,same thing, and my gunsmith ( former partner) had the customer return it directly to Ruger back then, they replaced it we heard......N/C... NOT a lot of the everyday firearms, get the hard use and rouinds through them like a 'rental' gun, most folks don't put tha tmany rounds through them.....we felt this can be the result of the area getting weakened in the "crush fit" of the install of the barrel , to the receiver tube.....the "crack" will have been 'NOT ' noticed. maybe even barely able to see?? but with the pressures,. temps, number of times the bolt is dropped, and on and on, the crack will start to move (open).....that hole does NOT help to keep that area strong, but it may also have been an improper heat treat to the receiver ( too hot? became brittle?? we're NOT a metalurgist, soooo.........we feel the damage was done on the "installation" of the barrel, time and use, made it noticable and worsen.
It would be interesting to "see" the Ruger installation process and know that this also occurs with the S&W light weight cylinder framed guns,and their barrel install,again, ,S&W replaced said guns, NO problem, NO charge. Was easier on everyting years ago, just screw tha barrels on, aand "pin" them in place...... :wink:
dan

keithj
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by keithj » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:09 am

well ruger stated that any cracked MKIII upper would be replaced as long as theres no signs of abuse ............so I aint loosen any sleep if more of these guns break ruger will be aware of the issue and any of us shouldnt have a problem gettin our upper's replaced for free if they should break......also the three guns that cracked they where blued mine is stainless ............isnt stainless tuffer than carbon........... I e-mail ruger and they stated cracked mkiii frames are rare about 2-3 per yr and as long as there is no sign of abuse or miss use than they wood replace at no cost so as long as there gonna stand behind what they sell I'm gonna shoot the hell out of it and if it breaks they'll fix it on them..........now if Harley wood just do the same my world would be a beutifull place.
keithj

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:59 am

After this came up I was talking with another one of my friends who said he ran across one last year in his shop. He didn't give it much thought at the time and Ruger replaced the receiver for the owner. Time will tell if this is a design problem but Ruger will take care of them if they are failing from regular usage.

R,
Bullseye