MKIII Disconnector stuck

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

MKIII Disconnector stuck

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:21 pm

I went to shoot my MKIII this morning and it would not fire. The trigger would not move back. I extracted the round, same thing. I shuck and banged it and it finally fired. I tore the gun down and found the Disconnector was bent in slightly at the top. I straightened it back out, What caused this to bend? I think it was binding on the bolt. I did check the pre-travel adjustment and it had some play, not all removed. I've put about 400 rounds through the gun since I added the pre-travel adj screw. This is the first time it has failed to fire, disconnector failed to reset.

Any ideas
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:37 pm

I'm not sure I fully understand where it was bent. Near the top - was that by the trigger or the angled part near where the hammer sits?

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:16 pm

It was bent at the top where the hammer is. The square box that's rides on the bolt was sloping toward the center. Not much maybe the thickness of the disconnector over. Starting in the center of box (where the bushing resides). Makes me wonder if the receiver was centered.

It shot fine this evening, I shot a snake in the pond behind the house. Took 4 shots but I got him, when he made the mistake of coming toward me.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:51 am

Perhaps the receiver bent it when you were aligning it for reassembly for the bolt stop. Did you have it apart before noticing the problem? I have seen them with the very angled tip bent, where it meets the disconnector groove, but those were improperly hardened by the factory.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:10 pm

I have not noticed it before. If it does it again, I may back off the pre-travel just a tad more to make sure it's not the problem. I wondered if some residue could have gotten between it and the frame causing it to stick.

The more I look at it, it was not bent enough to cause it to bind up. There is a pretty wide channel for it to run in. The only place it can contact is on the right side.

Got me puzzelled.

Shot fine this morning when I was shooting at a turtle in the pond.
David

Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:18 pm

It could have been some grit that got caught behind the disconnector lever. Backing the Pretravel screw out a hair may not be a bad idea if the problem arises again. Be careful a little bit of a turn goes a long way.

R,
Bullseye