Ruger Mark full auto

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Ruger Mark full auto

Post by Yleefox » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:29 pm

I was at the range a couple of years ago, when an older gentleman was shooting a Ruger Mark I, II, or III ( I don't know which) with his grand son. Suddenly the pistol went full auto and emptied a full or nearly full magazine down range. The guy was obviously surprised by the event and immediately put the pistol away.

Now, I know this has happened on occasion, through a failure of some kind or as a result of someone attempting a trigger job.

My question is this: Excluding non-factory modifications, is this condition typically a result of wear from extended usage or is it more likely to occur because a part failure? Anyone know the answer?

Thanks
Y

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:57 am

I have not known this condition to exist on other than amateur trigger job situations. Most of the time the owners will not admit that they've been tinkering with the internals. Wear would have to be significant and mostly on one part to cause a mismatch. This is virtually impossible, as both the hammer and sear engage each other and will wear together.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:33 pm

I had some time to work on the sear this morning. I ended up only removing enough material to clean up the rough edge left by the sloppy fit with the bushing. I did decided to take the polish to the next level though. Worked all the way to 8000 grit, was at 2400. The trigger is noticeably better and decided to stop at this point. The stoke is a little shorter, enough that I could have adjusted the post travel screw but decided not to. I'm going to call this done for now.

Now I have to figure why one magazine will not drop clean with the bolt closed, and a stove pipe every once and awhile. Do not get any on the other. It appears the mouth is opened wider at the front on the one causing problems.

Thanks for the suggestions.

The Full Auto's I have seen where on 1911's where some one did some trigger work. On a lot of cheaper 1911 parts, they are only cased hardened. The users take off too much material, removing the harden surface. After some use the edges round off and the gun goes into full auto.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:55 pm

blue68f100 wrote:The Full Auto's I have seen where on 1911's where some one did some trigger work. On a lot of cheaper 1911 parts, they are only cased hardened. The users take off too much material, removing the harden surface. After some use the edges round off and the gun goes into full auto.
Dang, I bet that's impressive! A full auto event on a MKII would be startling but I'd think easy enough to control when you gathered your wits. Full auto on a .45 has got to be a handful!

I'd just as soon not deal with either event if it's all the same to everyone... :shock:
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:30 pm

Downeaster wrote:
blue68f100 wrote:The Full Auto's I have seen where on 1911's where some one did some trigger work. On a lot of cheaper 1911 parts, they are only cased hardened. The users take off too much material, removing the harden surface. After some use the edges round off and the gun goes into full auto.
Dang, I bet that's impressive! A full auto event on a MKII would be startling but I'd think easy enough to control when you gathered your wits. Full auto on a .45 has got to be a handful!

I'd just as soon not deal with either event if it's all the same to everyone... :shock:
If you could get your wits together before the mag emptied, you would have to be pretty fast.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:54 am

bearandoldman wrote: If you could get your wits together before the mag emptied, you would have to be pretty fast.
Good point. I wonder what the firing rate would be in rounds per minute?
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:32 am

Downeaster wrote:
bearandoldman wrote: If you could get your wits together before the mag emptied, you would have to be pretty fast.
Good point. I wonder what the firing rate would be in rounds per minute?
I would say, double damn fast and then some, but that is just my opinion.

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:23 pm

I suspected that a botched trigger job would be the culprit, as you mention Bullseye. But I was curious as to if there might be something else that might cause that condition too. I personally believe when it comes to triggers, if you don't know what your doing you shouldn't be messing with the mechanism, unless you're under the direct supervision of someone who does know.

At least in the case of this particular pistol, it emptied that magazine very quickly. I wasn't looking directly at him until after the gun finished firing, only because it was that quick. So, I don't know how well he controlled the muzzle. He certainly looked surprised though.

Y

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:32 am

I hope he wasn't one of the people whom automatically point the muzzle a couple feet in the air after every trigger squeeze.

greener

Post by greener » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:57 pm

Georgezilla wrote:I hope he wasn't one of the people whom automatically point the muzzle a couple feet in the air after every trigger squeeze.
Fully automatics tend to go up and left without any help from the shooter, it would be really interesting if you helped it out.

If you could get your wits together before the mag emptied, you would have to be pretty fast.
Wouldn't take me long to gather my wits, not many to gather.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:14 pm

greener wrote:
Georgezilla wrote:I hope he wasn't one of the people whom automatically point the muzzle a couple feet in the air after every trigger squeeze.
Fully automatics tend to go up and left without any help from the shooter, it would be really interesting if you helped it out.

Both of them??????????????? :o

greener

Post by greener » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:50 pm

bearandoldman wrote:
greener wrote:

Both of them??????????????? :o
I keep my wits about me, but you know how it is when you put something down in front of you and can't find it.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:11 pm

greener wrote:I keep my wits about me, but you know how it is when you put something down in front of you and can't find it.

That's why I never shut my cell phone off, I can use another phone to call myself and home in on the sound.

Bud33
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Bud33 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:11 pm

Not sure about the .22, but I believe the .45 spits em out at 688 rounds per minute. (Blink and the mag is empty!!!)
Bud

Beware the man who only has one gun.
HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:54 pm

Bud, I think you are right. There is a u-tube video of a trick shooter using 2 finger to fire the gun fast. With a shot counter indicating 600? It was over as soon as it started. And this gun was full functional, Not Full Auto. So he was actually pulling the trigger and and hitting the steel.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911