Shorten Trigger Travel on MKIII

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Shorten Trigger Travel on MKIII

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:05 pm

What is the best way to shorten the travel on a MKIII. My MKIII has the factory hammer and sear, with a Clark bushing. The trigger has pre and post travel adjustments. The sear and hammer faces have been polished. The trigger pull is around 2.5 lbs now, so I do not need to lighten it any more.

Is it best to grind down the step on the hammer or back cut the sear like its done on a 1911. The MKIII has 1/8"+ travel before it fires, and that after the pre travel is taken up. All of my other guns have 1/2 the trigger travel as this gun does.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

recumbent
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by recumbent » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:41 pm

you can install a VQ trigger. This trigger has pre and over travel adjustments.
You have to have some pre and over travel or the sear will not reset.

You can also drill and tap your factory trigger and install the pre and over travel screws. there are instructions on how to do this somewhere on this forum. try the search feature.

Bob
"I seek not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions."
- Kwai Chang Caine -

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:47 pm

Bob, I already have pre and post travel adj on my trigger. I'm aware of the disconnector and play required to make it works. All is adjusted as best as it going to get, any tighter and it will not reset. What I don't like is the long stroke to make the gun fire. My Sig in SA is fall less than my MKIII. I see no advantage is buying a VQ sear since mine has been cleaned up and polished, unless I mess mine up. It's the land engagement between the sear and hammer that makes the stroke long. I see the land on the hammer is far more than needed > 0.050" may cut this down to ~0.030". I see the sear a little more forgiving to work on if I go to far and just can take some off the top. If I go to far on the hammer I need to get a new one.

I find it much more enjoyable in doing my own work. The problem we have today is a disposable society, and parts changers...... Hardly no ones know how to trouble shoot anything any more.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:50 pm

I typically do not like to make comments on this type of work as most folks do not have the proper hammer/sear jigs, adapters, polishing stones, or experience to do this job properly. It is far too easy to take more material off than intended or to miss adjust the engagement angles when doing this type of work by DIY free-hand.

The Ruger 22 Auto hammer is very unforgiving if the hook is cut incorrectly. You're not going to get a glass rod trigger with a Ruger. There's too many pivot points involved in the firing components for it. One could increase the sear's break-away angle cut depth to reduce surface engagement without disturbing the hammer and sear engagement angles. But too much material off will result in too little sear/hammer surface tension and possibly a pistol that doubles, or worse, goes full-auto. Plus, you still will have more trigger travel than most single action target pistols. If your's is truly 1/8" of travel to the break that is actually not bad for Ruger 22 standards with mostly factory components installed.

Take care that when functional fire testing after any hammer/sear work to only load two rounds at a time until you're absolutely certain that no full-auto malfunctions can occur. A full ten round magazine will zip through a pistol far faster that one can possibly imagine, which places proper muzzle control during this event in serious jeopardy.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:01 pm

Thank You Dr. Bullseye.

I was leaning toward the sear break-away angle, easier to work on. This would also clean up a jagged edge due to a very sloppy bushing fit. With the hammer I would have to remove the free travel radius material so the sear would not drag too. I noticed the hammer was dragging on the free travel area when I installed the Clark bushing, probably the reason the sears edge was rough. The Clark bushing removed the play and greatly improved the trigger without any other work be done. I learned long ago when t comes to testing , start with 1 round and step up. I also bang the gun to make sure the angles are good and not to neutral. Like you said, it does not take much material to make a huge impact.

I have seen one gun go full auto, but it was not one of mine. It happen to be a 1911 that someone missed up. Actually the end user did not use a gig and had the edges rounded from using a buffing wheel.
David

Custom Built 1911

langenc

Post by langenc » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:32 pm

"Take care that when functional fire testing after any hammer/sear work to only load two rounds at a time until you're absolutely certain that no full-auto malfunctions can occur. A full ten round magazine will zip through a pistol far faster that one can possibly imagine, which places proper muzzle control during this event in serious jeopardy."

Yes, and the ATF doesn't like it at all.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:33 am

My trigger now has over a 1000 round since I did the work. I was at the range a couple of weeks ago an the man next to me was shooting a 41. I asked him to shoot my MKIII and warned him that the trigger is light and give me a comparison. The first shot surprised him, he was not expecting it to be like his 41. After a couple of mags he said it was slightly better than his 41, which made me feel good. :D He also said none of the Rugers he has shot had that light of feel. And I do get a surprise break with every trigger pull. So I guess my presistant work on the trigger paid off. I do plan to put a stronger trigger plunger spring in the next time I detail clean it. The fountain pin springs works but the trigger is very light, never had reset problem. I do not have a trigger pull gauge but my guess is that's it around 1 lb and maybe less. All I can see is that my accuracy has improved with this good trigger. The release and travel is more like the rest of my guns now.
David

Custom Built 1911