Browning .22 Automatic rifle intermittant ejection failures

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Carl Williams

Browning .22 Automatic rifle intermittant ejection failures

Post by Carl Williams » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:27 pm

Several years ago I bought this terrible looking rifle from a pawn shop dealer at a gunshow with the intent of returning it to presentable appearance and function. Today, it is nice looking and shoots nicely, but it experiences stoppages intermittently with a fired cartridge case sticking out of the breechblock (ejection port). I suspect the extractor is worn or otherwise not tightly gripping the rim of the case therefore loosing control of the case before it can be ejected. Should I order a new extractor from Browning (I used to fix typewriters and other buisiness machines)? Oh yes, This is a Miroku manufactured gun serial #039xxPW146. Many thanks

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:57 pm

Welcome to Guntalk-Online.

Ordering an extractor and replacing it is one solution for your SA-22, especially if the hook is visibly worn. The other thing is the extractor may be clogged with grit or residue and unable to grip the cartridge rim firmly. If you haven't already broken down the breech and given it a good detailed cleaning (including removing the extractor) then that would be my first move. If still no operational improvement after the detail strip, then I'd replace the extractor hook.

R,
Bullseye