Magazine Problems On My Hybrid

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:42 pm

Don't ream anything yet. Reaming the rear lug hole may not provide any internal relief because of the front lug's position. If the front lug is all the way forward in the lug mounting recess reaming the rear will do nothing for the receiver's positioning. Just hold tight, I need to take some measurements off of a receiver and I cannot do that until later on today.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:26 pm

Just a shot in the dark, The trigger has a little tab that is suppose to push the magazine in if it is not fully seated. If you have set the pre travel on the trigger set it can cause this to interfere with the magazine. Look inside the receiver and see if this is contacting the magazine. I had to grind mine down when I add the the pre trigger adjusting screw. After all of the work getting it set correctly when I assembled the gun I was surprised that the magazine would not go in. It was the tab on the trigger in the way. I user used a small file and filed it down till the magazine slid freely into the mag well.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:55 pm

David, this frame is a Standard (aka. Mark I generation) it doesn't have any of those things you mentioned. What he has, is a Mark III 22/45 receiver sitting on top of an earlier generation (A-100) frame. This is an alignment issue.

R,
Bullseye

Geezer

Post by Geezer » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:04 pm

Blue, I checked and no rubbing on the trigger.

I did try this, when I put the upper back on and tapped it backward on the lower, the pin went through from the top but was snug, as usual. I tapped the back of the upper forward just a little until the pin went through pretty easily. I then put everything back together and now the magazine goes in and out almost like it should. It doesn't hang up and I can insert and remove it with the bolt closed. I'll have to wait until my next trip to the range to see if it will stay in place.

The upper is from a 22/45 and they are peened at the opening for the front lug. I removed the peened area so it would fit onto my lower. Maybe I removed too much allowing the upper to go too far rearward. Actually, now the rear of the upper is flush with the rear of the lower instead of an overhang like most of the Rugers have.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:09 pm

It sounds like the fit is a little loose between the frame and the receiver. I was thinking that the mag was hanging up on the ledge just under the ejector pin. But after your description of tapping the receiver forward, I'm beginning to think it was catching on the feed ramp.

R,
Bullseye

Geezer

Post by Geezer » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:57 am

After an early morning trip to the range I happy to report that everything went just fine with the Hybrid. All the magazines went in and out like they were supposed to, even the old MK I 9 rounders. I put 200 rounds through it with no FTF or FTE's. A lot of it was rapid fire trying to get it to jam.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions for helping me correct my problem. I'll just have to remember not to set the upper back too far when reassembling. Here is a photo of the Hybrid that I've been working on.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:24 am

That's great news. I also see what looks like a dimple in the frame rail just below the LCI slot. This looks like it could be a DIY vise squeezed frame tightening job. That unevenness in the frame could also contribute to the excessive tightness in the receiver-to-frame fit.

R,
Bullseye