Magazine Problems On My Hybrid

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Geezer

Magazine Problems On My Hybrid

Post by Geezer » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:54 am

I have a Standard frame and I have put a MK III 22/45 4" Bull Barrel upper on it. I call it my Hybrid. I used the Standard bolt so I removed the entire LCI assembly. I have several MK I's and MK II's so I also have several magazines and I load them all when I go to the range and use them in whichever MK I'm shooting at the time.

When using the Hybrid, all my magazines will touch the ejector pin and the magazines are hard to remove from the pistol. I usually have to lock the bolt back to remove the magazine. The pistol will perform just like it's supposed to, no FTF or FTE's. The only problem is with the magazine removal and occasionally when I insert it . I have done some trigger/sear work and the little pistol is a joy to shoot, a lot more accurate than the trigger man.

Since the magazines all work and fit just fine in my other MK's, it seems that the upper is sitting too low in my lower (but it still feeds just fine). Is there anything that I can do to correct this? I can modify some magazines and dedicate them to this pistol but I'd rather not do that. Like I said everything works just fine, it just takes a little more effort to insert and remove the magazines.

I am using one of your photos to illustrate just where the issue is at.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:54 pm

The best thing to do in this situation is to file off a little of the ledge on the heel magazine catch on your Standard's frame. This will effectively lower the magazine's position.

ImageImage

R,
Bullseye

Geezer

Post by Geezer » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:26 pm

Now, why didn't I think of that? That's why you are Da Man! Thanks, Bullseye.

Geezer

Post by Geezer » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:03 pm

Well, it looks like I got excited just a little too fast. My magazine catch doesn't have enough room to file away 1/16 of an inch. If any material is removed, it will affect the size of the ledge. The catch on my Standard frame and my MK I Target are both the same. The catches on my MK II's all have a little more "meat" at the ledge area, like the one in your photo.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:06 pm

You can remove it off of the mag base plate were it contacts the catch.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:38 pm

It would help if you could post a pic of your catch or send it to me via e-mail.

You could always replace that latch with a Ranch Products extended release (like the one in the picture on the frame) and then take off some material if necessary. Replacing the heel mag latch is very easy. There's only one pin to remove.

R,
Bullseye

Geezer

Post by Geezer » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:52 pm

The catch on my MK II. It looks like the one in your photo.

The one on the Standard.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:39 pm

The one on that Standard looks like its already been lowered some. There doesn't appear to be any more room to lower that latch. If you decide to go with a Ranch products extended mag release then there's a lot more material to work with for lowering the hook height.

R,
Bullseye

Geezer

Post by Geezer » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:24 pm

My MK I Target, made in 1981, my Standard, made in 1976, and this Standard, date unknown, all have the same catch, with the thin hook. All are A100 frames.
All my MK II's have the "meatier" hook area.

This Hybrid is just a plinker/truck gun so I think I will try to find a catch someone has taken off their MK II and modify it. I can still use it like it is, it's just difficult to remove a magazine sometimes. I still find it strange that it feeds like it does.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:51 pm

Let me ask this question - is the catch hanging up on the magazine body, near the joint where the silver base plate meets the metal mag body? There's a line there that sometimes catches the mags. Or, is the mag getting caught higher up in the frame?

R,
Bullseye

Geezer

Post by Geezer » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:33 am

The mags seem to be getting hung up near the top, near the ejector. After I am able to pull it down a little, it comes right out.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:04 am

Sounds like the receiver is positioned just a little farther forward on your standard frame than it should be. Is the back, top, side of the mag getting caught and hung up? How about the bolt stop pin - is it hard to get in? Does the two halves align easily for mainspring housing insertion?

R,
Bullseye

Geezer

Post by Geezer » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:32 am

The two halves do go together but not what I call easily. The upper was new and the lower and bolt have been around a while. When assembling it, I will put the pin through the holes from the top to make sure that it is lined up. It is a pretty tight fit.

How do I get the receiver to set back farther?

Thanks again for all your help and advice. It's really appreciated.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:53 am

Usually this takes some fitting of the front and rear lugs. I don't know if the front lug is a little to long or if the rear mounting pin hole needs a little reaming. It could be a combination of both. How much would you say is the frame forward? (In thousandths)

R,
Bullseye

Geezer

Post by Geezer » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:16 pm

I don't know exactly how to measure this but I'll guess .010-.015. I can ream the holes .005 at a time and see. If the holes are reamed, will it make looseness between the upper and lower?

I am almost convinced to just leave it alone and just accept the fact that the magazines are stiff coming out. I may try reaming a few thousandths based on your opinion.