45acp reload result

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

45acp reload result

Post by Hakaman » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:57 pm

Well, the 38sp reloads I put together are "just right". The 45acp's : 185gr swchp's, 4.7gr of W231 were "border line weak". One bad thing about shooting when I did was the wind was blowing into my face. I know I loaded on the minimum side, but that's a good thing to do (as you all know). I felt, what appeared to be), some unspent powder blowing back in my face? One round failed to reset the slide, and a couple other rounds were close to doing so. These are indications that I need a little more powder. Hodgdon told me 5.0 to 6.0 gr's, but I wanted to be on the safe side. The powder not completely burning is a unique way of reflecting too weak of a load? Has anybody read that before?
Haka :wink:

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:07 pm

Yes your correct, a little to weak.

WW231 burns the cleanest when it is in the upper range. I use it for my 9mm 115gr RN Rainers. At 4.5 its like you describe, at 4.6 just a little, at 4.7 it burns super clean with 4.8 gr max. I don't have a crony to know what the velocities are. But the accuracy is dead on consistant.

I have found if you loading for an auto you need to start in the middle of the range to avoid improper slide velocity. Make sure your using a TC or FC on autos too to avoid bullet setback. It normally does not take a lot, 0.002"-0.003" is sufficient. On plated bullets if you do more than that you will damage the plating. The crimp will help get the pressures up.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:40 am

There will always be some unburned powder. If you've ever swept an indoor shooting range down you know what I mean. 22 rimfire ammo is the worst for throwing out unburned powder from the barrel.

Now you have a baseline for your 185 grain loads. Kick up the powder some and keep testing. Once you find your best load, that's when you can make a bunch of rounds for shooting.

R,
Bullseye