VQ MK111 Trigger.

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:04 pm

Nice pictures Boomer!

Here I cropped this one a little for you. :D

And here's a slightly pixelated and cropped version of just the triggers.

I really like the look of the silver trigger on the stainless model too.

R,
Bullseye

boomer47
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by boomer47 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:12 pm

Bullseye,
Thanks for the kudo. I'll post some pics of this one when I get through with it.
Got some grips on order to go with the Millet red dot. Already have the VQ sear,bolt release and extractor installed. Mag safety out and a Clark hammer pin and bushing set installed. All internal moving parts polished and the firing pin modified as per my posts a year or so ago.
Trigger pull right now is a repeatable 22 oz. so I'll leave that alone.
Sure wish we had a source for the old "blast shield". I only have one and the old coke can thing is not up to the original.
I'm also thinking about cutting the original Ruger MK111 scope mount down to where it is 1.5 inches long, and only the two front screws are used, cut a new cross slot in it, then using only one wide ring to mount the Millett red dot.
The Millett is compact and weighs little and I don't think it would ever move,given the recoil of a .22.
Your thoughts on that?
One other thing. Somewhere on these posts you had advised to polish the trigger return plunger hole in the trigger with fine grit sandpaper. I have found several plungers that were tight enough to affect the pull and that is one of the first things I look at now and your advice bears repeating.
Also, I think the silver trigger looks much better on the stainless pistol. I hope all this was worth it to Nic. I think he'll sell a bunch when he gets them out.

R, Jack

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:01 pm

Somewhere on these posts you had advised to polish the trigger return plunger hole in the trigger with fine grit sandpaper. I have found several plungers that were tight enough to affect the pull and that is one of the first things I look at now and your advice bears repeating.
Wow, you do pay attemtion, that was eons ago back on old Mark II.org when it was on Blackan forums and Network54. Yes, the trigger plunger can cause an additional gritty feel on the trigger. Originally that plunger hole honing technique was to reduce the need for a trigger shield. Enlarging the trigger plunger hole clearly reduces the binding from powder residue. I'll put that into a sticky and also on a troubleshooting/maintenance page I'm thinking of adding to the guntalk field stripping and information pages.

Funny (ironic) you mentioned the trigger shield, just today I was thinking about making myself some punch press dies and squeezing out some new trigger shields. I don't think Bill Chimachella is making them anymore and I'd considered making and supplying new ones. I'd have to redesign them for the Mark III but I'm sure that's do-able.

Single mounting a scope can work. There are some scope mounts that are set up this way like the vertical split ring this Tasco scope has on it.

The only real problem is warping the tube but rimfire cartridges shouldn't do that to a Millett. Just mount it as close to the center of the scope assembly as possible.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

boomer47
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by boomer47 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:09 am

Sure hope you can get into making up some blast shields. As far as I know the only difference between the MK11 and MK111 would be making a cutout on the side of the shield for the spur on the MK111 trigger.

Rich G

Trigger Shields

Post by Rich G » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:58 am

Bullseye,

If you do decide to "Punch Out" some Trigger Shields, please put me down for three of them. I need two for MKIII's and one for a MKII. Not concerned about pricing, just let me know and I'll drop a check in the mail my friend. Not sure how many shields your planning (or want to sell), but I got friends with MKII's and MKIII's also. Take care Bullseye, you have my email.

Rich G.

boomer47
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by boomer47 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:27 pm

Bullseye,
Another project for you to think about. I don't have the skill nor tools to make one up but I'd sure like to have a filler for that plastic LCI piece. I made one up out of aluminum and it looks ok but still looks homemade.
Seems a lot of people are trying to defeat the LCI by removing to metal tab and a well made filler for the slot would look a lot better than the plastic.
I guess there is a reason Ruger made it out of plastic but the reason escapes me.

R,Jack

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:23 am

boomer47 wrote: I guess there is a reason Ruger made it out of plastic but the reason escapes me.
I know the reason, because I'm the one responsible for why they made it out of plastic. The old solid metal one made a perfect lever for crushing the rim of a cartridge. If a strong enough force was applied, the pistol would fire without the trigger being pulled, even with all the pistol's safety devices engaged. Ruger redesigned the Mark III LCI based on my findings with a two-piece system. One of the new parts were made of high-strength plastic. Here's a picture of the old and the new LCI's for comparison.

Sorry, I appreciate the suggestion but I cannot produce (or sell) any component that defeats a manufacturer's safety device. I can explain how to do it, but I cannot manufacture the parts that will disable a safety mechanism. Removing the metal tab from the two-piece LCI will effectively disable it.

R,
Bullseye

boomer47
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by boomer47 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:37 pm

Bullseye

Yeah, I remember you and Ruger thrashing it out over the LCI. If you or anyone else has any of the old steel LCI's laying around that you don't need I would sure like to have a couple.
I do take the metal tab out of the new ones and would just like to have something better looking than that plastic bar taking up the space.