Hammer pin backed out, have bolt locked up.

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Hammer pin backed out, have bolt locked up.

Post by blue68f100 » Sun May 31, 2009 10:53 pm

I have a user on another forum (Sig) that has a MK II that I diagnosed the hammer pin backed out causing the hammer to lock the bolt back. The user can not remove the Main spring strut from the bolt/barrel, bolt back hammer back. He says nothing will move. Here is the link that has photos and all of the conversation in trying to diagnose and unlock the hammer/bolt. http://sigforum.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s= ... 1#77310891.

Any suggestions on what he can do to unlock the is welcomed. I can be the in between person if need be.

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Sun May 31, 2009 11:51 pm

It seems that Agony resolved the problem by removing the hammer pivot pin.

I helped a fellow that had the exact problem not too long ago. I simply removed the grips and used a bent scribe to disengage the sear from the hammer.

The arrow indicates where to pull on the sear.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:12 am

You can also forward him to this sticky in the technical forum http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=421 it shows the same sear releasing technique that George is discussing. If the poster has a Mark III it will also need the mag disconnector hook lifted to release the sear.

R,
Bullseye

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:12 pm

Bullseye wrote:You can also forward him to this sticky in the technical forum http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=421 it shows the same sear releasing technique that George is discussing. If the poster has a Mark III it will also need the mag disconnector hook lifted to release the sear.

R,
Bullseye
I should have checked the technical forum. Your sticky explains the technique in much greater detail.

Could a pistol in this condition be damaged by having its hammer pivot pin pulled out to resolve the problem? That seems pretty hazardous to the pistol's health.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:03 pm

He ended up driving the main spring latch from the bolt. He was unable to get any movement in the sear since the hammer was cocked and locked up. Once the main spring latch was removed it just came apart normally. Now he is going to do some VQ upgrades to it. I suggested that he look closely at the left grip panel, this is what holds the Hammer pin in place.

Thanks for the links on how to attack these for further reference.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:56 pm

Georgezilla wrote: Could a pistol in this condition be damaged by having its hammer pivot pin pulled out to resolve the problem? That seems pretty hazardous to the pistol's health.
Only if it is a 22/45 version. A 22/45 sear spring leg can get bent by driving out the hammer pivot pin. The 22/45's sear spring locks the hammer pivot pin in place and holds it.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:08 pm

I was wondering what kind of damage can happen to the parts in question. You answered the main one, by driving out the hammer pin out.

Since thing were locked up tight with parts not in there correct position, could this damage the hammer and sear faces?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:35 am

No they're pretty tough, hardened, surfaces. Just as easy is to remove the grips and push out the sear pivot pin, that frees up the hammer. Tilt the muzzle downward and tap it firmly on a block of wood on the floor. This will drive the hammer fully forward and then the pistol can be disassembled normally.

R,
Bullseye