Clarks Bushing install on MKIII

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Clarks Bushing install on MKIII

Post by blue68f100 » Sun May 31, 2009 4:51 pm

With the help from this site and RimfireCentral I was able to install the Clark bushing in my MKIII Hunter. I was very surprised as to how sloppy the hammer fit was to the factory bushing, it had to be 0.004" clearance. The new over sized bushing removed all the slop. I could see where the hammer and sear were not mating evenly and the hammer strike was to one side of the hammer. Lightly cleaned up the factory sear with some 4000 grip paper. Now I have a nice trigger, seams to be lighter and smoother. Removing the magazine disconnect was a blessing, none of my other guns have them. While I had every thing apart I adjusted the factory overtravel screw on the trigger. Like it was reported, it was there but was never adjusted. That removed >1/8" over travel. I will make the mod for Pre-travel as soon as I get the 4-40 set screw. I would like to try the lighter trigger spring, but since I did not buy the complete kit I did not have it. If I elect to buy the VQ sear I may try it. But I need to take this to the range and give it a spin, then decide what my next step will be. I have the VQ exact extractor but did not install it. I have not had any ejection problem with this gun.

The Clark bushing almost indicate that it was too long. The hammer did not want to move freely at first. I lightly polished the bushing ends and all is well.

Thanks All :)

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun May 31, 2009 8:22 pm

Sounds like all is well. You should find your trigger a lot smoother with the Clark bushing.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:09 pm

I got to shoot my MKIII this morning, all I can say is what an improvement. The trigger was smooth and crisp. The pull indicates to me lighter, even though I have no way of measuring it.

I had a couple of stove pipes with this Federal #724 which is 31gr copper plated HP. I noticed that last time out my MKIII shot the AE22 a lot better. Grouping with the 724 were 2" and AE22 were 1". So I know which ones I'm going to hunt with.

I still have the VQ Exact extractor that I have not installed yet, so it may be my next mod to do. I was thinking of reshaping the factory extractor first.

David

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:08 pm

How does it shoot with lead round nose bullets? Ruger 22 Autos seem to be a little picky about shooting some hollow point ammunition. I've had some success with the 36 grain HP's but the lighter 31 grain HP's have not typically fed well. Some experimenting with different brands and weights might be in order.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:25 pm

I have not shot lead through this gun yet. I've been lucky enough to find the copper plates....

The 31 gr do not have the recoil as the 38gr (AE22). I have had 1 that failed to lock the slide back on the last round. And about 6 to FTE (stove pipe). The gun is clean from a detail cleaning when I got the gun and when I installed the Clark bushing.