Ambidextrous Safety Breaking?

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Ambidextrous Safety Breaking?

Post by greener » Fri May 15, 2009 9:39 pm

I've read a few post about the ambidextrous safeties on Taurus PT1911's breaking. The one on mine hasn't had any problems and I'd put that worry way down on the list of things to be concerned about. Last weekend a guy at the range asked me to look at his Par Ordinance STI because the ambi safety had broken. After checking for, and not finding, the sign that said "master 1911 gun smith" I looked at the pistol. The safety had sheared off at the frame and part of the tab or plate that sits against the frame had been broken off. I told him that Para or a competent gunsmith needed to look at it. But it got me thinking:

Reading the Taurus forum, this seems to be often discussed, but is it that common?

From what I've read, I thought the problem was where the two "forks" from each side came together. Is shearing at the frame something that could happen or is that a sign of something else such as the safety not being fully off or an overcharge on powder?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat May 16, 2009 9:20 am

More than likely it is from a poorer quality metal used in the parts, the PT1911's are famous for using MIM parts. These can have cast flaws and break easily, especially in the high stress areas like the fork in the shaft for the ambi lever.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Sat May 16, 2009 3:04 pm

I thought the Para's were made of better stuff. Apparently not. My Taurus keeps chugging along with only problems I create. Saw a basic Para Ordinance at the gun show today for about $500. If (when) I get another 1911, I'll probably spring for a better gun.

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Mon May 18, 2009 11:52 pm

From what I am told, Para-Ordnance 1911s are not mil-spec; Canadians and their crazy metric system :roll: If that's true it would be a pretty big turn-off for me. Makes replacing parts a pain.