Lubed bullets really needed?

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

boomer47
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Lubed bullets really needed?

Post by boomer47 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:58 pm

A friend gave me a brick of Remington Thunderbolts but I'm leery of shooting them after seeing all the posts about them gumming up the action.
What would be the downside of tumbling them to remove all the lube?
I realize that I may get some heavy barrel leading, but then I see so many posts about some people never cleaning the barrel because it needs to be fouled for the best accuracy.(I clean mine after each shoot anyway)
Both my Hunter and MK11678GC have tight chambers and it does'nt take much goop to make them start having chambering problems.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Re: Lubed bullets really needed?

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:05 pm

boomer47 wrote:A friend gave me a brick of Remington Thunderbolts but I'm leery of shooting them after seeing all the posts about them gumming up the action.
What would be the downside of tumbling them to remove all the lube?
I realize that I may get some heavy barrel leading, but then I see so many posts about some people never cleaning the barrel because it needs to be fouled for the best accuracy.(I clean mine after each shoot anyway)
Both my Hunter and MK11678GC have tight chambers and it does'nt take much goop to make them start having chambering problems.
Jack, all you can do is give them a try :?: , they worked poorly for me, had a lot of trouble feding and chambering, and then started to get a lot ot fail to fires withthe Dynapoint. Switched to teh Federaal 220 paks at Wally world and they have worked really good, must have use at least 8 or so packs. just picked up 9 more the other day as it was all they had in stok. Soory Jack,,they may be all right now taht I think of it the Golden Bullet bulk pack was the one that gave me problems.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:32 pm

The only gun I shoot the Remington golden thunderbolt bulk pack bullets is in a Marlin Model 60. They lead up the barrel something fierce, but that micro groove barrel doesn't seem to mind it.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:46 pm

Bullseye wrote:The only gun I shoot the Remington golden thunderbolt bulk pack bullets is in a Marlin Model 60. They lead up the barrel something fierce, but that micro groove barrel doesn't seem to mind it.

R,
Bullseye
Neverr had any leading problems but fail to feed and chamber in my 22/45's, seemed s if the waxy lube was too aticky to feed properly. When chambered they did shoot well and left no leadin, but have sitched to the Federal bulk ammoas it works better andi is less costly yet.

have you heard anything from Rook on the Mark II forum or do you think it is gone for good also?

boomer47
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by boomer47 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:33 pm

First off, I'm sure glad to see a little particpation here. Looks like the MK11 site is down for good. I may post a few stupid questions here just to see if anyone is browsing this site.
I think I'll just pass the Thunderbolts on to a friend to use in his rifle.
Back in the old days I used to load a 148gr., no lube, lead wadcutters for my customized S&W mod. 64 with a 6in. bull barrel with 2.8grs. of bullseye powder to use in PPC competition and all the shooters would run a patch or brush through the cylinder chambers between stages and never touch the barrel. This was only a case of firing 50 rounds in a match but the leading in the barrel did'nt seem to matter.
Next time I get to a range I'm going to see just how many rounds I can fire before the accuracy begins to suffer from a fouled barrel.

I have checked the members roster here on Bullseye"s site and see a bunch of the old MK11 site members. I wonder why they are not joing in here with Q&A.

Before anyone jumps on me about the number of rounds in a PPC match I'll admit that I have forgotten. We fired from the 7, 15, 25 and 50 yard line but I've forgotten the number of rounds at each station but 50 rounds for the match seems a little low. As best I remember 1500 was a perfect score so it must have been 150 rounds using a 10X bullseye. I never even got close but did shoot a few just over 1400.
This was back in the late 70's so my memory may be a little off.

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:46 pm

boomer47 wrote:I may post a few stupid questions here just to see if anyone is browsing this site.
I'm here... I'm here... :lol:
boomer47 wrote:I think I'll just pass the Thunderbolts on to a friend to use in his rifle.
last summer, I had some ThunderBolts to dispose of...
and within maybe 200 rounds had a (SW 22A1) leaded up so bad
that the .22 Al cleaning rod would not insert...
I contacted S&W and they accepted/cleaned it up... promptly...
I still have about a brick of ThunderBolts that I keep as a reminder.
I'll stay with my Federal/CCI and avoid the Rem/Peters Bullets.
Good luck with your decision, but I'd pass them on... and if to a
"friend"... with a warning.

boomer47
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by boomer47 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:21 pm

Yeah, I think I'll just put them on a shelf against the day we can't get any ammo after the anti-gunners get through passing new laws.
I remember you having the heavy leading problem, still can't imagine how it kept shooting. I've never seen a barrel leaded up so bad that you could'nt get a rod or brush through it.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:09 am

bearandoldman wrote: Neverr had any leading problems but fail to feed and chamber in my 22/45's, seemed s if the waxy lube was too aticky to feed properly. When chambered they did shoot well and left no leadin, but have sitched to the Federal bulk ammoas it works better andi is less costly yet.

have you heard anything from Rook on the Mark II forum or do you think it is gone for good also?
I've shot plenty of heavily waxed bullets through Mark IIs but never had the leading problems I get with the remingtons. Eley Tenex is a prime example of a heavily waxed high quality match bullet that shoots well in my rugers. I may have to try wiping off some remingtons just to see if there's a difference clean or waxed. I just hate scrubbing out lead fouling. The Federals work pretty well in my guns too. I bought a huge bunch of Dynapoints on one of my last Highpower Rifle trips, so I still have a generous amount of those to use for plinking. Typically I'll shoot CCI Standard Velocity if I'm shooting in a fun Bullseye match. Otherwise I'll break out the Tenex or some SK Rifle Target, which is the same ammo as Wolf Match Rifle. SK is another name for the people who make Wolf brand ammo.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

leading

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:37 am

Bullseye, you can't beat the CCI standaeds as far as a good mediuk price ammo, shoit a lot of them in the days when I had my 10/22.
Tried one pak of the Golden Bullets and had all kinds of feed and chambering problems, the started to get a lot of fail to fires, probably because they did not fully set in the chamber and got a light hit.
Was using a lot of Dynapoints and the started to get in the last few boxes maybe 5% or more fail to fires, the I got my Walther G22 and the would not feed or anything, had a hard time making the gun run. For an old mechanic/servide tech, anything that does not run really jerks my chain. Tried a pak of the load 750 I thinkk in the 550 bulk paks from Federal at Wally world and they work great as accureate as thei sold man can get.
By the way toalke to the spoting goods department manager at my local Wally World here in Mid Michigan and he advised me that they will continue to sell ammo but will phase out or firearms in the near future.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:38 am

boomer47 wrote:First off, I'm sure glad to see a little particpation here. Looks like the MK11 site is down for good. I may post a few stupid questions here just to see if anyone is browsing this site.
I think I'll just pass the Thunderbolts on to a friend to use in his rifle.
Back in the old days I used to load a 148gr., no lube, lead wadcutters for my customized S&W mod. 64 with a 6in. bull barrel with 2.8grs. of bullseye powder to use in PPC competition and all the shooters would run a patch or brush through the cylinder chambers between stages and never touch the barrel. This was only a case of firing 50 rounds in a match but the leading in the barrel did'nt seem to matter.
Next time I get to a range I'm going to see just how many rounds I can fire before the accuracy begins to suffer from a fouled barrel.

I have checked the members roster here on Bullseye"s site and see a bunch of the old MK11 site members. I wonder why they are not joing in here with Q&A.

Before anyone jumps on me about the number of rounds in a PPC match I'll admit that I have forgotten. We fired from the 7, 15, 25 and 50 yard line but I've forgotten the number of rounds at each station but 50 rounds for the match seems a little low. As best I remember 1500 was a perfect score so it must have been 150 rounds using a 10X bullseye. I never even got close but did shoot a few just over 1400.
This was back in the late 70's so my memory may be a little off.
Nobody's happier to see some participation here than I. I didn't want to have this forum competing with MarkII.org, so I've always left it on the back burner. I check it usually once or twice a day, in case there's any posts that need my attention I can answer them promptly.

I have not received an answer back from Rook on the Mark II forum yet. It has been almost a week now since I sent him my last message. He may be out of town or something like that. There have been occasions where he takes a while to get back with me, so I'm not sure what the delay is this time. I know he's trying to get the forum back up and running, I just don't know how big of a priority is is for him in his life right now. He hasn't been on the forum all that much in the last year and maybe he's lost some interest in it. I'd like to see it come back, but if it doesn't, I'll just switch this one over to a more Ruger Mark II/III specific format.

I know that there's a lot of folks here as members from the old forum but they primarily joined and didn't submit any messages. Maybe it's because of the way I ran this forum, trying not to compete with the mark II forum, that caused them to not bother. I think a lot of folks look here and then think this is a dead forum just because the message count is low. It's not, but it hasn't taken off like I'd wished either. I'm fine with that, but I do admit I'd hoped it would have had more participation too. I am greatful for those of you who have faithfully submitted messages and participated in discussions here at Guntalk.

Boomer, I used to shoot some PPC too. I shot a 48 shot reduced course on a silhouette target. Here's a link to the PPC courses of fire, to help jog the old memory: http://wa1500.org/course%20of%20fire.htm

I liked shooting PPC. Can't say as much for IPSC/IDPA style, although I must admit I haven't given that newer format much of a chance. Nobody here shoots the old PPC style so I just mainly shoot Bullseye for pistol.

PPC came in handy when I used to qualify and train military police officers for weapons training. They'd get really big eyes when I'd do a demo target and there'd be a hole the size of a fist in the center of the target. After that, I'd have their attention and I wouldn' hear, "Well, I do it this way." I'd get a lot of, "How did you do that?" Worked real well, especially for those who were having trouble qualifying.

Well enough reminiscing, if the mark II website stays down for too much longer I'll be some of the other's will start joining in here. I still post some messages on other boards and leave my logo there for the others to follow. Thanks again for being members here, I really do appreciate it.

R,
Bullseye

boomer47
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by boomer47 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:43 am

Bullseye,

Have you looked at the KTOG.org site lately? Looks like another a--hole has fouled that one up too.

Jack

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Re: leading

Post by Bullseye » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:48 am

bearandoldman wrote:Bullseye, you can't beat the CCI standaeds as far as a good mediuk price ammo, shoit a lot of them in the days when I had my 10/22.
Tried one pak of the Golden Bullets and had all kinds of feed and chambering problems, the started to get a lot of fail to fires, probably because they did not fully set in the chamber and got a light hit.
Was using a lot of Dynapoints and the started to get in the last few boxes maybe 5% or more fail to fires, the I got my Walther G22 and the would not feed or anything, had a hard time making the gun run. For an old mechanic/servide tech, anything that does not run really jerks my chain. Tried a pak of the load 750 I thinkk in the 550 bulk paks from Federal at Wally world and they work great as accureate as thei sold man can get.
By the way toalke to the spoting goods department manager at my local Wally World here in Mid Michigan and he advised me that they will continue to sell ammo but will phase out or firearms in the near future.
Len,

I don't blame Wally World for dropping firearms. They are a high-volume sales company and the firearms department doesn't move many units. Floorspace is a premium so having items take up square footage and not moving means losing profit on other things that would. When you sell at a discount rate it's all about sales volume. Sell more for less, and you make more profit in the end. I'd bet as the firearms disappear so too will the ammunition. People will stop browsing the sporting goods dept for shooting related items and that too will die on the vine.

Your G22 may need to have the chamber reamed. If you're having trouble feeding multiple brands of ammo that chamber may not be cut right. I had to ream out a S&W Model 41 for the same reason and now that pistol will feed anything. I used a 22 match chamber reamer and never had any problems since. Maybe that chamber is too rough and causing drag on the cases during the feeding cycle.

I like the Federals but I had to be careful because I wanted the standard bulk pack and Federal came out with a new pistol brand that has a lower count for the same price. It's supposed to be a higher quality round but I'm not so sure about that. I'll let you know when I get to test them.

R,
Bullseye

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:54 am

boomer47 wrote:Bullseye,

Have you looked at the KTOG.org site lately? Looks like another a--hole has fouled that one up too.

Jack
No, I don't usually frequent the KTOG site. I wonder if it uses the same PHP format as the Mark II.org site did. Someone has found a security hole in the Mark II.org format and is exploiting it by imbedding hidden worm programs into the format templates. Hopefully it's just Invision Power Board software, and not the PHP format in general, or all bulletin boards using PHP will suffer hack attacks. I'll try looking over at that site later and see what's up.

R,
Bullseye

Rich G

Post by Rich G » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:50 am

Bullseye, my friend ..... You have given me such "Good Advice & Instructions" on my Rugers over the years, that my biggest fear was to loose the contact when the MKII.org board went down. I for one am thankful for this Forum, and God willing, it will continue for a long time!! This Summer has been extremely busy due to Family & Work, but I need to get more active. Thank you again ....... Rich G.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:41 am

Rich G wrote:
Bullseye, my friend ..... You have given me such "Good Advice & Instructions" on my Rugers over the years, that my biggest fear was to loose the contact when the MKII.org board went down. I for one am thankful for this Forum, and God willing, it will continue for a long time!! This Summer has been extremely busy due to Family & Work, but I need to get more active. Thank you again ....... Rich G.
Hey Rich, good to see a post from you again. Have you been spending a lot of time in Germany again. My oldest son used to live near Stuttgart , actually Bobligen or Altdorf when he was working for HP, he will be going back to Germany, this time to live in or near Munich and head the aerospace and automotive sales an dmarketing for his company in Europe.