Acu'Rizer Tool

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

time

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:24 am

Jack, you got too much time on your hands, glad you have this project to work on. Idle hands are the Devil's workhop or something like that. Got another VQ sear to put in the other scoped 22/45, so I too have a small project to keep me oout of or get me into trouible.

Take care my friend and maybe we will give you a call sometime. Sure keep wondering if the old Mark II forum will ever come back, hate to see it go.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

boomer47
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by boomer47 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:23 pm

bearandoldman,

Yeah, if I did'nt have all these projects going I'd probably be doing something important like drinking beer and chasing women.
The last VQ sear I got was a tad rough on the face. A few passes with a black Arkansas stone slicked it up and it's working just fine.

Jack

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:25 pm

Boomer,

I'm really glad you found something that works. I'll be looking to hear if all that work paid off. I agree, it's just like reloading. Maybe it'll squeak out a little extra performance out of those economy rounds. The press will definitely make the rounds consistent.

R,
Bullseye

boomer47
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by boomer47 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:24 am

Bullseye,

That idea of using a press is a real winner.
I'm now using the press to seat the round in the tool, easier and faster than the rubber/plastic hammer way.
Also found that the small primer punch out of a Lee hand priming tool is just right for knocking the round out of the tool without deforming the bullet nose, just puts a uniform and barely noticeable flat spot on the nose.
I have 150 rounds, in 25 round lots, of various brands made up, just resized by running them through the tool without using any of the reshaping rods and will post some results after firing them and the unmodded rounds,comparing the sized/unsized for accuracy.

Jack

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:05 am

boomer47 wrote:Bullseye,

That idea of using a press is a real winner.
I'm now using the press to seat the round in the tool, easier and faster than the rubber/plastic hammer way.
Also found that the small primer punch out of a Lee hand priming tool is just right for knocking the round out of the tool without deforming the bullet nose, just puts a uniform and barely noticeable flat spot on the nose.
I have 150 rounds, in 25 round lots, of various brands made up, just resized by running them through the tool without using any of the reshaping rods and will post some results after firing them and the unmodded rounds,comparing the sized/unsized for accuracy.

Jack
I'm very happy to hear your satisfied. There's always a way to build a better mouse trap. Hammering those rounds individually seemed awfully time consuming, using a reloading press seemed the next logical evolutionary step for this tool. Why don't you write to Paco, describe your experience and share the results with him.

R,
Bullseye

boomer47
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by boomer47 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:37 pm

Bullseye,

Will do.

boomer47
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by boomer47 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:30 pm

Bullseye,
It's been awhile now and I still haven't heard anything from Paco about the press setup.
The only real firing results I have so far after using the tool is that Stingers chamber and shoot very well after resizing but the winner is that the accuracy of Fed. 510 bulk ammo that I ran through the tool really increased.
Around 50% of the cases were a loose fit and the other 50% were a fairly tight fit in the tool.
After the resizing they all shot better out of my MK11 678GC, grouped(10 rnds) at 5/8ths of an inch at 25 yards off a sandbag using a 2X scope.
On another subject we have discussed, the new VQ MK111 trigger. The first one I got seems to be of a different material than the new ones.
I soaked the first one in a TSP solution overnight and took all the black off of it, polished it up and it looks great in my MK11. I ordered two more a few days ago from Rimfire Sports to tweak up the two Hunters I have on order.
Nic must have come up with a new way to color these things because nothing I've tried yet will faze the coloring. They seem to be something other than cast aluminum because my anodizing setup won't begin to take the color off and a rubber wheel on the Dremel just smears the finish around, won't get down to the base metal.
I e-mailed Nic to see if he would put the trigger out in the white but have not had a reply yet.
I think the plain aluminum/alloy trigger would sell because I, as well as a lot of other gun lovers, think the black trigger on an otherwise completely stainless pistol, just looks out of place.
If you know of some chemical other than TSP that will remove the finish/color, without harming the metal, I'd sure like to hear about it.

R,Jack

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:17 pm

boomer47 wrote:the winner is that the accuracy of Fed. 510 bulk ammo that I ran through the tool really increased.
Around 50% of the cases were a loose fit and the other 50% were a fairly tight fit in the tool.
After the resizing they all shot better out of my MK11 678GC, grouped(10 rnds) at 5/8ths of an inch at 25 yards off a sandbag using a 2X scope.
B-47: thanks for the UpDate.
which 'Paco-Nose' were you putting on the Fed#510s ?
--or is it primarily the Snug-Fit, resized OD that helps most, not the nose.
I presume this is with your press-setup, or just a mallet?

boomer47
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by boomer47 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:56 pm

I only sized the case and bullet, no "paco" nose yet. I used my press setup instead of the mallet.
I mainly wanted to see if the resizing made any difference in accuracy before trying the various nose shapes.
The punch that makes the "nasty nose(I think thats the one) makes up a bullet that looks like a Federal Hydra-Shok in the larger calibers. Ought to be rough on small game if it is accurate.