Volquartsen sear

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Volquartsen sear

Post by Yleefox » Fri May 05, 2006 8:44 am

I have a Mark II bull barrelled target pistol. I installed a Volquartsen sear and the reduction in trigger pull weight is very nice, however, now I get a failure to recock, on average about once or twice per magazine load. I have tried different brands of ammo and different magazines, but still this annoying problem.

I'm sure someone has the solution to this problem.

Thanks
Yleefox

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Re: Volquartsen sear

Post by bearandoldman » Fri May 05, 2006 11:17 am

Yleefox wrote:I have a Mark II bull barrelled target pistol. I installed a Volquartsen sear and the reduction in trigger pull weight is very nice, however, now I get a failure to recock, on average about once or twice per magazine load. I have tried different brands of ammo and different magazines, but still this annoying problem.

I'm sure someone has the solution to this problem.

Thanks
Yleefox
do you have over and pre travel screw maybe adjused too close to work all rthe time?
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat May 06, 2006 12:25 am

Yleefox,

If you installed the reduced power trigger return spring from the VQ kit then try reinstalling the factory (stock) return spring. You may just be under the tension level the spring can handle on the return stroke. Any friction will create enough drag to cause this type of problem. Also as Bearandoldman says a pretravel screw may be set too high if you've got one installed.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Thanks

Post by Yleefox » Sat May 06, 2006 5:01 pm

Thanks Bear and Bullseye,

I appreciate the response to my problem and thanks to Bullseye, I figured out what was going on. In the dark confines of the pistol's frame, I managed to get the spring incorrectly installed. Once I fixed this little gremlin, it works like I expect a Ruger Mark II to work.

Yleefox

bearandoldman

Re: Thanks

Post by bearandoldman » Sat May 06, 2006 5:24 pm

Yleefox wrote:Thanks Bear and Bullseye,

I appreciate the response to my problem and thanks to Bullseye, I figured out what was going on. In the dark confines of the pistol's frame, I managed to get the spring incorrectly installed. Once I fixed this little gremlin, it works like I expect a Ruger Mark II to work.

Yleefox
I stopped at the local Harbor Freight outlet and bought a 4 inch magnifier with 60 watt bulb with a stand just for those type jobs. It's light and big and you can still use both hands to bo the job.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

HF

Post by Yleefox » Sun May 07, 2006 7:34 am

I'll have to get one of those from Harbor Frieght.

Thanks for the info

Yleefox