Scope Elevation Question

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Scope Elevation Question

Post by KAZ » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:34 pm

I'm so confused, how about some guidence. My Weaver Grand Slam Rifle scope runs out of elavation at 100 yards. I bought a set of Burris Signature Rings and the set of inserts. The instructions say: You can preload the scope with up to 20moa of elevation. Use a +10 insert in the rear and a -10 insert in the front. This seems backwards to me, wouldn't you want to raise the front of the scope and lower the rear?

recumbent
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by recumbent » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:05 pm

No the instructions are correct.

This illustration will probably make more sense.

Click to enlarge
"I seek not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions."
- Kwai Chang Caine -

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:50 pm

Thank you Sir, I always value your posts. I keep having a mental picture of raising the front ot a cannon to get more range,so lowering the front seemed backwards. Regards

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:18 pm

KAZ wrote:Thank you Sir, I always value your posts. I keep having a mental picture of raising the front ot a cannon to get more range,so lowering the front seemed backwards. Regards
You have to think of it in this context, as you would have to bend the barrel to make the gun shoot where the scope is looking, the only recourse you have is to make the scope look where the gun is hooting, eh???????
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:59 am

bearandoldman, I always enjoy your posts as well! Especially with Bear there to keep you straight 8)

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:37 am

KAZ wrote:bearandoldman, I always enjoy your posts as well! Especially with Bear there to keep you straight 8)
Bear does his best to keep me in line, a good loud sharp woof and a stern look usually does it. Pretty soon Bear will hit the back yard for his morning pee pee and hen he comes in, he get his dog cookies or you will get woofed on.
We always talk about sighting in a gun but we never adjust the gun but the sight.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:04 am

You are correct! I knew that I had to shim the optic, but my thinking was along the lines of barrel elavation as you can tell by my cannon reference. Yes, the real KAZ and I just have returned(one of us is waiting for his cookie) from our morning juant. No rabbits were seen, however two Donkeys ran out to the rancher's fence which was exciting.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:14 am

KAZ wrote:You are correct! I knew that I had to shim the optic, but my thinking was along the lines of barrel elavation as you can tell by my cannon reference. Yes, the real KAZ and I just have returned(one of us is waiting for his cookie) from our morning juant. No rabbits were seen, however two Donkeys ran out to the rancher's fence which was exciting.
In effect you are raising the barrel in relation to the sight, you are just doing it by lowering the POA.
Give the dog his cookies, Bear had his little while ago, one was broken in half, so he got an extra half along with the regular two. Four legged or two legged? the two legged Donkeys are usually referred to as Jackasses, the four legged ones are really Donkeys.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:40 am

Well, these are in fact the good four legged variety. KAZ and I have little/zero tolerance for the other kind. Now if the rings that go with the inserts will get off backorder I will be in business.