RUGER Single-Six with inconsistent chamber dimentions

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

J Miller
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

RUGER Single-Six with inconsistent chamber dimentions

Post by J Miller » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:29 pm

I have an Old Model Ruger Super Single-Six that has inconsistent chamber dimensions. When cleaning it I can feel that at least three of the chambers are much tighter than the others. This can't be good for accuracy.

As of the last time I shot this revolver about the best I could do with it was 2.5 to 3" groups at 25 yards ...... sometimes.

I haven't had the time to slug the chambers, or barrel, that will come pretty soon.

What I'd like to know is this; is there a reamer that could be used to equalize the chambers so they are all the same?

This revolver has a couple other issues too, but I'd like to address them one at a time to determine what effect each has on the accuracy dept.

Thanks,

Joe

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:07 pm

A chamber reamer can equalize the individual cylinder dimensions if applied by a competent revolver smith. I am not a wheel gun man. I focus mainly on autopistols and rifles. Timing, end shake, and forcing cone dimensions can also greatly effect revolver accuracy. My suggestion is to find a revolver man and let him work on your pistol.

R,
Bullseye

J Miller
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by J Miller » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:25 pm

Bullseye wrote:A chamber reamer can equalize the individual cylinder dimensions if applied by a competent revolver smith. I am not a wheel gun man. I focus mainly on autopistols and rifles. Timing, end shake, and forcing cone dimensions can also greatly effect revolver accuracy. My suggestion is to find a revolver man and let him work on your pistol.

R,
Bullseye
Bullseye,

I've been looking for one. No gunsmiths I trust around here at all. Zip.
Will keep looking.
Thanks,
Joe

Clem

Post by Clem » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:02 pm

My Single Six was inconsistent and actually keyholing bullets. I sent it back to Ruger for a new barrel and they also put in two new cylinders. It shoots a lot better, but I again measured the chamber throats and they are .227". .22 LR bullets are from .223" to .2245", so the throats are oversized, which seems to be par for the course from Ruger. I have several S&W .22 revolvers. The throats of all of them run .223" to .224". I haven't gotten around to testing the single six much since it came back from the factory, but I shoot the Smiths all the time and they shoot great.

Send it to the factory and let them put in a new cylinder.

J Miller
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by J Miller » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:15 pm

Clem wrote:My Single Six was inconsistent and actually keyholing bullets. I sent it back to Ruger for a new barrel and they also put in two new cylinders. It shoots a lot better, but I again measured the chamber throats and they are .227". .22 LR bullets are from .223" to .2245", so the throats are oversized, which seems to be par for the course from Ruger. I have several S&W .22 revolvers. The throats of all of them run .223" to .224". I haven't gotten around to testing the single six much since it came back from the factory, but I shoot the Smiths all the time and they shoot great.

Send it to the factory and let them put in a new cylinder.
Clem,

I considered doing just that. However I'm going to have the chambers equalized on my LR cylinder first. Mine isn't keyholeing any bullets and the accuracy is actually better than you'd think with the inconsistent chambers.
I found a gunsmith in Tennessee that does this and has the proper tools.

I'll be sending the cylinder out to him after I get to the range to do some before groups.

Joe

Clem

Post by Clem » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:28 pm

If the chambers were tight and inconsistent, like they usually are with .45 Colt NMBHs, it would make more sence to me to recut the chambers. They are probably oversize now. Recutting them may make them consistent, but they will still be oversize. Good luck.

J Miller
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by J Miller » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:48 pm

Clem,

I sent the cylinder off last week sometime to be done. When it gets back I will do a retest of the accuracy and see what happens.

As it is now, it would group three to four rounds in a cluster then throw two to three fliers. This happened consistently with 5 different brands and types of ammo.

So they may be over sized, but if it makes the groups more consistent I'll be thrilled.

Joe

Clem

Post by Clem » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:38 pm

When they are grouping inconsistently like that, it may not be variations in chamber diameter that are causing the problems, but variations in chamber location. If the chamber location varies radially or in asmuth, the bullets will hit the forcing cone in different locations. This can cause interesting results on the target. The out of spec chamber locations can group ok when tested individually but to a different point of impact than the other chambers.