I can't get my receiver off the frame

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

mrmyers

I can't get my receiver off the frame

Post by mrmyers » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:25 am

I'm new to Gun Talk, and just got my first Ruger (22/45 MKIII). My only problem is I can not get the receiver off the frame, even hitting it with a rubber mallet. I do not want to damage the polymer frame. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I want to do a thorough cleaning of all the packing oils so that I can go burn up some ammo. Thanks.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Re: I can't get my receiver off the frame

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:36 pm

mrmyers wrote:I'm new to Gun Talk, and just got my first Ruger (22/45 MKIII). My only problem is I can not get the receiver off the frame, even hitting it with a rubber mallet. I do not want to damage the polymer frame. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I want to do a thorough cleaning of all the packing oils so that I can go burn up some ammo. Thanks.
Don't just tap it, hit it hard enough to make it move, you will not damage the frame, it is not made of glass.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

mrmyers

Post by mrmyers » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:28 pm

Got it off. Thanks. I just did not want to ruin my gun before I even got to pull the trigger.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:34 pm

mrmyers wrote:Got it off. Thanks. I just did not want to ruin my gun before I even got to pull the trigger.
Don't be afraid of it, they are harder to break than you think,
When taking my self defense classes, I learned to carry 2 guns as it is easier to grab another than to reload an empty one. More than once I have dropped my SA Micro on the ground when empty to grab my .380 in my LH pocket, what good is an empty gun??

Glad to hear you were able to get it apart, hope thiings go well on the reaqssembly.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:59 pm

You're lucky, I kept leaving my magazine in the first few times I tore down my first Mark III. I don't care how hard you hit a receiver with a mag installed, it isn't budging.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:02 pm

Bullseye, I think I would have the same problem with a MarkIII, I have seen them but never torn one down, the mag thing would make me have to think and that is tough on us old guys.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:10 pm

At first it was hard to break old habits. I didn't have to insert then remove a mag on a Ruger and therefore kept trying to disassemble the pistol with the mag still installed. A very humbling experience indeed.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:22 pm

Bullseye wrote:At first it was hard to break old habits. I didn't have to insert then remove a mag on a Ruger and therefore kept trying to disassemble the pistol with the mag still installed. A very humbling experience indeed.

R,
Bullseye
Sounds like it would e, don't really want to learn but if forced and old dog can learn new tricks, and we still know all of the old tricks, but there are sure a lot of them we can not do anymore. This is it 700!!!! Remember to watch out for us old guys as treachery and being ornery will aqmost always over come youth.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:32 pm

There was a good TV commercial running that emphasized that treachery point well. This old guy goads a younger man into hitting his golf ball into a big tree by saying, "When I was a young man I'd hit it over that tree all the time." Naturally the huge tree blocks the younger guy's shot. The old man laughs and says,"Of course when I was a young man, that tree was only four feet tall!" :D

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:59 pm

Len, I'm sure a steely-eyed master such as yourself would have no problems mastering the MKIII. My first Ruger was a MKIII and I started with taps. The receiver didn't come off until I figured out that the only thing I could hurt by giving it a good whack with the rubber mallet was my thumb if I missed. Nice thing about a tight fit on the grip frame is if you have a bad day of shooting you get to whale on the gun when you come home. :lol:

The magazine discussion had me pulling MKIII's apart since I've never left a magazine in. Well almost never...hardly ever...most of the time. I didn't remember that on my MKIII 22/45 you can't open the mainspring latch if the magazine is in (at least I get enough resistance that I stop). If you leave the magazine in on reassembly the mainspring will not close completely.

On the Hunter (KMK678H) no problems getting the mainspring latch open, removing the bolt stop pin or removing the bolt with the mag inserted. On reassembly, once I had the receiver/grip frame together and properly aligned, you can do the rest with the mag in the pistol as long as I depressed the bolt release to allow the bolt to go fully forward. First time I ever tried that.

greener

Post by greener » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:02 pm

bearandoldman wrote: Remember to watch out for us old guys as treachery and being ornery will aqmost always over come youth.
That's why I treat my elders with the greatest respect.

Bud33
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Bud33 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:57 pm

Talking of old habits, I catch myself reaching to the bottom of the grip on my Mk III 22/45 to release the magazine and the last time I shot a Ruger Mk I was in the early 60's!!!
Bud

Beware the man who only has one gun.
HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:24 pm

greener wrote:
bearandoldman wrote: Remember to watch out for us old guys as treachery and being ornery will aqmost always over come youth.
That's why I treat my elders with the greatest respect.
Yup, noticed that when you were up here at the range, you got respect for your eldersor maybe it wqasw the 1911 in my vack poclet. Either one will get you respect, the 1911 for damn sure.