Chamber Reaming DTY ?

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Chamber Reaming DTY ?

Post by KAZ » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:01 am

I shoot a lot of 22RF, and I pay particular attention to the chamber. I use a 25 caliber bronze brush bent so that it is short of the rifling and it seems to do the job of removing the lead. However I've read that some experienced shooters will keep a chamber reamer in the tool box and at some point lightly work the chamber. I'm interested in opinions. What say you Bullseye?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:40 pm

A chamber reamer isn't something that I'd keep laying around in my range box. It is a delicate, precision cutting tool that requires extreme care to protect the cutting surfaces (flutes) from dirt and grit. If a reamer becomes damaged, it could gouge a pistol chamber to the point that it would impair accuracy or functioning. Simply turning the reamer in the wrong direction can cause irreparable damage to it.

I have used a chamber reamer to clean out a badly fouled, or leaded, chamber, but that was only after all other cleaning methods failed to remove the fouling. If one were to use the reamer incorrectly, it could ruin the chamber's head spacing, or cut into the barrel's lands causing too much freebore, both of which will decrease a pistol's accuracy potential. An improperly used chamber reamer can do far more harm than good.

R,
Bullseye

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:07 pm

I suspected that would be the case, and I knew that you would know if and when one should be used. Regards