Ruger troubleshooting chart - Seeking inputs

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

boomer47
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by boomer47 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:34 pm

Bullseye,

Don't forget to put your idea about polishing the trigger return plunger hole in the trigger in the trigger section.
I probably go too far but, I also polish the top and sides of the plunger, as well as the underside of the spur on the disconnector that rides on the plunger. It may not be needed but a long time ago I started polishing anything that moves in a firearm and can't get over the habit.

R,Jack

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:42 pm

Will do Jack. :D

R,
Bullseye

Bud33
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Bud33 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:57 am

Bullseye,
Just looked the chart and find it has GREAT potential.

I did find one small typo (I think)

On #12 the fix reads "LONG LEG OF THE 22/45 SEAR PIN" and I believe you meant sear spring.

I only caught that since that step gave me some problems the first time I did a re assembly!
Bud

Beware the man who only has one gun.
HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:45 pm

Thanks Bud, that's a big help! I'll fix that later on tonight when I download the page and add some more information.

R,
Bullseye

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:19 pm

I decided not to wait until tonight and fixed it now. Toy will like seeing step # 17 added to the trigger procedures. I will also add it to the main maintenance (detailstrip) page when I get some pictures taken to go with it.

R,
Bullseye

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:01 pm

Bullseye wrote:Toy will like seeing step # 17 added to the trigger procedures.
Uh... ya' must have me confused with one of the MANY!! OTHER Good-Looking
fellows on this forum...
I don't recall any question/suggestion by me about 'triggers -n- grits'...

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:00 pm

You're right, it was Boomer. He's been after me to add the procedure for honing out the trigger plunger for weeks.

R,
Bullseye

Rich G

Post by Rich G » Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:40 pm

Bullseye,

Been a very busy August, and just completed the PA Motorcycle Safety Course today (hasn't rained here all Summer, but rained during the test). Just catching up on things, and wanted to comment that your "Cause & Corrective Actions" Chart is fantastic, my friend. Thank you and take care ........... Rich G.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:46 pm

Rich G wrote:Bullseye,

Been a very busy August, and just completed the PA Motorcycle Safety Course today (hasn't rained here all Summer, but rained during the test). Just catching up on things, and wanted to comment that your "Cause & Corrective Actions" Chart is fantastic, my friend. Thank you and take care ........... Rich G.
Just a little tip from an old rider Rich, DON'T FALL OFF. Road rash hurts. An remember that every car on the road does not even know you are there.
Jumped over a car once, did it the hard way by leving the bike parked in the passenger front door.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

jambie

Dr Bullseye

Post by jambie » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:04 pm

Great chart Bullseye!
I would suggest a FTF section. Light stikes being one cause. I just had to replace a firing pin with a blunted end where the hammer strikes it.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:50 pm

That's a great suggestion Jambie! This is why I'm asking for inputs, you're coming up with the things I forgot to add. It's tough to build something like that from the ground up and include all the details.

Keep them coming folks, it'll only make the final product that much better!

R,
Bullseye

jambie

Post by jambie » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:17 am

Here is another. Loose fitting of the barrel onto the frame (not too common a problem, but one I experienced).
As I recall there was a thread on markii.org suggesting how to squeeze the frame as to tighten the bolt to grip frame fitting.
I have resorted to placing little bits of aluminum, from a soda can, inside the the recess in the barrel into which the the square lugs fits in. Crude but it works

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:42 pm

Yes, adding one about tightening the frame to receiver fit is a good idea too. I'll stay away from describing how to press the frame wings together, or someone will form their frame in the shape of a clam shell and blame me for it. But the shim process is a good one to add.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:56 am

Bullseye wrote:Yes, adding one about tightening the frame to receiver fit is a good idea too. I'll stay away from describing how to press the frame wings together, or someone will form their frame in the shape of a clam shell and blame me for it. But the shim process is a good one to add.

R,
Bullseye
Good idea Bullseye, got to lawyerize your instruction is this day and age. Did you ever notice the first instruction with a light fixture it says to turn off thje power, Remember common sense is not as common as we think it is, or we think it should be.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Bud33
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Bud33 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:06 am

Bullseye wrote:Yes, adding one about tightening the frame to receiver fit is a good idea too. I'll stay away from describing how to press the frame wings together, or someone will form their frame in the shape of a clam shell and blame me for it. But the shim process is a good one to add.

R,
Bullseye
It would tend to make a mess of the POLYMER frames also :D
Bud

Beware the man who only has one gun.
HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!