.30-'06 Commercial Load for Garand

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:39 pm

Well you're putting me on the spot a little here, but you shouldn't be too far off with a commercial grade load at 100 yards. Any farther than 100 yards and the resulting changes could be more significant. If you get a chance to do a cold barrel test fire, take it. That should confirm any ammo shift as slight. Without testing, you may be blaming the ammo if you get a shot and don't bag a gobbler.

R,
Bullseye

Thompson

Post by Thompson » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:12 pm

ebay (search: M1 Garand clips) has 2 and 5 round clips available at a reasonable price. Look at the section below the auction items. I just ordered five each of the 2 and 5 round clips (2.99 ea plus shipping=$32.xx). Cheap enough to be legal for hunting.
Phil

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jaeger45 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:39 pm

Bullseye wrote:Yes, the Garand is noted for not feeding soft point ammuntion reliably. Any bullet strikes on the chamber mouth can cause the tip to mushroom and jam. This may not be a problem for your gun and you can test it reliably with a trip to the range and some off-hand shooting practice for reliability testing and smooth feeding.

FMJ will feed best, but if you're trying to set up a load for hunting, than that is a verboten round for you (especially in CA). Nosler ballistic tips or similar plastic pointed ammo will fit the requirements for hunting with a Garand.

Also, make sure that you have only 5 round capable Garand En-bloc clips in your possession, or you could face some stiff penalties by the state game warden.
Hope this helps,
R.
Bullseye
When I started big game hunting in 2005 here in CA after our exchange of posts, above, back in 2005, I'd seen this 5-round max capacity for big game rifles requirement observed already by the group of veteran hunters I joined.

I'm now trying to organize a group of young bucks and want to give them a solid grasp of hunting laws and I want to be ready for their questions. (YOU'd been there too not long ago, remember? :lol: ) And I cannot even find the basis for the 5-round restriction. Is it a federal or a state requirement? I'd done quite a bit of googling already and the only thing I can find is the 3-shotgun shell restriction of of CA.

Could it have been sunsetted with the easening of the restricttion on 30-rd mags of assault wpns? Meaning, I can now use 8-rd clip for the M1? (H'RAY!!!)

Thanks.
A bad shot is often caused by a loose nut behind the buttplate

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jaeger45 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:40 pm

Bullseye wrote:Yes, the Garand is noted for not feeding soft point ammuntion reliably. Any bullet strikes on the chamber mouth can cause the tip to mushroom and jam. This may not be a problem for your gun and you can test it reliably with a trip to the range and some off-hand shooting practice for reliability testing and smooth feeding.

FMJ will feed best, but if you're trying to set up a load for hunting, than that is a verboten round for you (especially in CA). Nosler ballistic tips or similar plastic pointed ammo will fit the requirements for hunting with a Garand.

Also, make sure that you have only 5 round capable Garand En-bloc clips in your possession, or you could face some stiff penalties by the state game warden.
Hope this helps,
R.
Bullseye
When I started big game hunting in 2005 here in CA after our exchange of posts, above, back in 2005, I'd seen this 5-round max capacity for big game rifles requirement observed already by the group of veteran hunters I joined.

I'm now trying to organize a group of young bucks and want to give them a solid grasp of hunting laws and I want to be ready for their questions. (YOU'd been there too not long ago, remember? :lol: ) And I cannot even find the basis for the 5-round restriction. Is it a federal or a state requirement? I'd done quite a bit of googling already and the only thing I can find is the 3-shotgun shell restriction of of CA.

Could it have been sunsetted with the easening of the restricttion on 30-rd mags of assault wpns? Meaning, I can now use 8-rd clip for the M1? (H'RAY!!!)

Thanks.

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jaeger45 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:41 pm

jaeger45 wrote:

Hope this helps,
R.
Bullseye

I'm now trying to organize a group of young bucks and want to give them a solid grasp of hunting laws and I want to be ready for their questions. (YOU'd been there too not long ago, remember? :lol: ) And I cannot even find the basis for the 5-round restriction. Is it a federal or a state requirement? I'd done quite a bit of googling already and the only thing I can find is the 3-shotgun shell restriction of CA.

Thanks.

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jaeger45 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:42 pm

jaeger45 wrote:
jaeger45 wrote:

Hope this helps,
R.
Bullseye

I'm now trying to organize a group of young bucks and want to give them a solid grasp of hunting laws and I want to be ready for their questions. (YOU'd been there too not long ago, remember? :lol: ) And I cannot even find the basis for the 5-round restriction. Is it a federal or a state requirement? I'd done quite a bit of googling already and the only thing I can find is the 3-shotgun shell restriction of CA.

Could it have been sunsetted with the easening of the restriction on 30-rd mags of assault wpns? Meaning, I can now use 8-rd clip for the M1? (H'RAY!!!)

Thanks.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:17 pm

Looking at several CA DFG sites reveals that the centerfire rifle cartridge capacity restriction has be lifted to 10 rounds or less for a fixed magazine centerfire rifle. There are restrictions on the type of bullet that can be used - specifically soft point bullets. Here's a link to a page that confirms the limit http://www.dfg.ca.gov/publications/trac ... 004_11.pdf

The old 5 round magazine limit for hunting may have been lifted in 1999 but I cannot confirm that.

R,
Bullseye

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jaeger45 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:57 pm

Bullseye wrote:Looking at several CA DFG sites reveals that the centerfire rifle cartridge capacity restriction has be lifted to 10 rounds or less for a fixed magazine centerfire rifle. There are restrictions on the type of bullet that can be used - specifically soft point bullets. Here's a link to a page that confirms the limit http://www.dfg.ca.gov/publications/trac ... 004_11.pdf

The old 5 round magazine limit for hunting may have been lifted in 1999 but I cannot confirm that.

R,
Bullseye
Thanks! I'll tell the "Young Turks". (May one or two are fm Missourah, hm-mm??? ) :lol: :lol: :lol:

And I'm holding on to that thar link!!!

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:15 pm

That only is applicable for California, many states have centerfire rifle restrictions of their own for hunting.

R,
Bullseye