New Winchester 94 Trapper

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

slabsides

Post by slabsides » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:40 am

And a Happy New Year to you!
Incidentally...re: Lucas McCain, the Rapid Reloading Rifleman: My boys were great fans of the show, and I observed that his carbine (would have been a Winchester 92 in .38-40 or .44-40, probably) was modified with a screw in the lever that would trip the hammer each time it was worked. There was an article in Guns Magazine describing the modification, a way back when. An alternative was a folding lever pinned into the trigger guard that could be flipped up for slamfire and folded down like a jack-knife blade for regular levering. Cute, but I'll take a standard action and aimed fire over 'slamfire and pray' any day.
To tell you the truth, I've never seen much sense in the big loop lever. John Wayne could spin-load his, but most of us have hands smaller than Virginia hams, and the regular loop serves very well.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:10 pm

slabsides wrote:And a Happy New Year to you!
Incidentally...re: Lucas McCain, the Rapid Reloading Rifleman: My boys were great fans of the show, and I observed that his carbine (would have been a Winchester 92 in .38-40 or .44-40, probably) was modified with a screw in the lever that would trip the hammer each time it was worked. There was an article in Guns Magazine describing the modification, a way back when. An alternative was a folding lever pinned into the trigger guard that could be flipped up for slamfire and folded down like a jack-knife blade for regular levering. Cute, but I'll take a standard action and aimed fire over 'slamfire and pray' any day.
To tell you the truth, I've never seen much sense in the big loop lever. John Wayne could spin-load his, but most of us have hands smaller than Virginia hams, and the regular loop serves very well.
Right you are my friend and it was a 44.40 of course as in that time period that was the rifle to have and you carried a six gun of the same caliber to make the ammo selection simpler.
Chuck was a big man about 6'5" anf played for the Celtics part of one season and then played pro baseball. Her is a link to his information. http://www.riflemansrifle.com/the_riflemans_rifle.htm
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.