Trigger Pull

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

cool_husker

Trigger Pull

Post by cool_husker » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:53 am

I have a Howa .338 WIN MAG with a Hogue overmold full bed pillar stock. I am probably going to put an after market trigger. I am thinking timney but want to know what a good trigger pull would be. They come factory preset b/w 1-4# and I was thinking 2-3#. I will be hunting moose, caribou and bear (brown and black) with this gun and while most will be short range I want to be cofident to at least 300 yards plus. I live in alaska so depending on the game distance can vary. Any suggestion would be great thanks.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:17 am

I'm more inclined to set hunting rifles to the high side of trigger weight. 3-4 pounds would be my choice. Hauling them through the brush with extra clothing on means plenty of opportunities for snags to cause an AD. Even with a heavier trigger I can preload it with more initial pressure, and as long as the let off is crisp, I can make a good accurate shot. Match guns that aren't being carried or jostled through the bush can easily take a lighter trigger pull. Timney is a good choice for an aftermarket trigger.

R,
Bullseye