NEW GI 6.8 SPC

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

NEW GI 6.8 SPC

Post by jaeger45 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:43 am

NEW GI 6.8 SPC

Anybody got anything on the newly-developed 6.8 SPC designed to replace the .223 cal which is getting so many of our boys killed in Iraq and Afghanistan?
A bad shot is often caused by a loose nut behind the buttplate

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:21 am

I don't have any inside/1st-hand knowledge...
but http://www.google.com/search?q=GI+6.8+SPC
gets some interesting "hits"...

also, it seems there is consideration for the Grendel

I'll stay with my .223 and .308 until they have some experience
to get my attention...

Blindpig

Re: NEW GI 6.8 SPC

Post by Blindpig » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:12 am

jaeger45 wrote:NEW GI 6.8 SPC

Anybody got anything on the newly-developed 6.8 SPC designed to replace the .223 cal which is getting so many of our boys killed in Iraq and Afghanistan?
Are you saying you think the 5.56mm round is insufficient for a combat role? When I look at the casualty reports, it appears to me that most of our troops are being killed by IEDs.

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jaeger45 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:56 am

Blindpig wrote:
jaeger45 wrote:NEW GI 6.8 SPC

Are you saying you think the 5.56mm round is insufficient for a combat role? When I look at the casualty reports, it appears to me that most of our troops are being killed by IEDs.
You ARE correct.

And of those killed by enemy AK's, a few have been killed both in Iraq and Afghanistan by Bad Guys who'd been hit several times by our M16's and still were able to fire back and kill some of our boys- which should NEVER happen, WOULD NEVER HAVE HAPPENED if those BG's were hit by .308 rounds or the .30 Ball M2 of old. That's all I'm saying.

I'll reprint here the entire article written by a retired USMC officer, plus the results of my own very unscientific but very personal experiments on the compared hits of the .223 and the .30 cal Ball M2.

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:15 pm

jaeger45 wrote: I'll reprint here the entire article written by a retired USMC officer, plus the results of my own very unscientific but very personal experiments on the compared hits of the .223 and the .30 cal Ball M2.
OK, I'd be interested in reading that. Too bad we can't survey all those ragheads that are now enjoying their 77 virgins or whatever that were sent to paradise by that lowly little 5.56mm round. :wink:

wlambert
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by wlambert » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:39 pm

I heard there was an error in translation. They actually get a glass of wine, a slice of cheese, and 77 raisens. No virgins.

wlambert
NRA Benefactor
Lehigh Valley Police Revolver League
Guthsville Pistol League

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:08 am

wlambert wrote:I heard there was an error in translation. They actually get a glass of wine, a slice of cheese, and 77 raisens. No virgins.

wlambert
Ah, that makes more sense! And they probably put the raisins up their noses! :lol:

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jaeger45 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:02 am

But the women bombers will not give up their 77 studs, I betcha.

Tbag
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tbag » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:19 pm

I've got an AR 6.8 spc, and have grown to like it very much. Very accuate, have dependable and I can't wait to go hunting with it to see what it will do. I expect to be deer and hog hunting within the next couple of weeks and it's going to be the rifle of choice.

As for the Grendel, I don't think that it's going to make it very far, several issues with it from what I have read.