New Hunting Toy

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

DancesWithSquirrels
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

New Hunting Toy

Post by DancesWithSquirrels » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:33 am

I bought a rifle off the used rack at the local gun shop a couple of weeks ago. It was labeled as unfired and it looks it. It is a Browning BLR in .308. Took it out to the range this past weekend to break it in and sight it in with a Burris 4X scope. I was shooting Federal Premium 150 Grain Ballistic Tip loads since it seemed like a good choice for a deer hunt in Maine next week.

I was really thrilled with the performance I got from a lever action. After all the sighting in I had 4 rounds left at the end of the day. I shot those 4 carefully and slowly to keep the barrel cool. We put those 4 rounds into a 1 1/4 inch group at 100 yards. Really surprised me. I would have been happy with 2 inches.

Anybody else have any experience with these Browning lever actions? Did I just get an exceptional sample or do these rifles perform consistenly well? I may just have me a new favorite general use hunting rifle for deer, black bear and similar game.

DWS

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:39 pm

I don't have any experience with the BLR but it sure sounds like you got a sweet one!

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:48 pm

I need to see a peecher, before I have an opinion... 8)
but, I agree with 'BP'... I bet I'm gonna be jealous!
congrats...