Remington Model 81 in 35 Rem

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

gcp
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Remington Model 81 in 35 Rem

Post by gcp » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:31 pm

I bought this rifle last Sunday, through sheer luck, and am very happy I did! Haven't shot it yet but maybe Saturday. Any of you own one and if so how do you like it? It should make a great brush gun.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/0703/ ... odel%2081/

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:17 pm

Looks pretty nice. I'll be interested to hear how you like the feel of it after a shot or two.

R,
Bullseye

gcp
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by gcp » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:53 am

Bullseye, after shooting my 81 for the first time today, I don't believe that I am man enough for the police version of the 15 round mag of 35 Rem rapid fire. Recoil packs a wallop.

The rifle shot very well, even though it demonstrated one failure to properly eject, on shot 6. Don't know what caused this one FTE but it was easily cleared with no additional issues for the 12 remaining shots. I was shooting Winchester made, 200 grain round nose ammo. The accuracy was not as good as I am used to, and as shown in the below targets. It obviously shoots to the left and will need to be adjusted but I don't believe this will ever be an MOA but rather an MOD rifle. It is a brush gun after all.

3 first test shoots at 25 yards

100 yards

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:08 pm

Well, that was what I was alluding to about the .35's recoil. Kicks, don't it? Not quite what you expect at first but you can get used to it. Just don't use a thumb knuckle spot weld on the stock, it'd be like punching yourself below the eye with each shot.

R,
Bullseye

gcp
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by gcp » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:18 pm

Yep, surprisingly hard recoil, even though it's a recoil barrel action. But I like the rifle and will continue to shoot it, especially after I install a slip-on recoil pad on the butt stock. That and reloading for it ought to do thr trick.
gcp

Courageous we stand!

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:52 pm

those are way cool rifles I believe frank hamer used one of those in his abush of bonnie and clyde....
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

gcp
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by gcp » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:57 am

He did. But his was a 8 model, the predecessor to the 81, with a specially fitted 15 round magazine. It was the police version and had a lot of fire power for such a short but heavy rifle. That's exactly why I made the statement that I am not man enough for 15 rounds of 35Rem. It’s built like a tank and yet has aesthetically pleasing lines. JB was a genius!

Here's a takedown of it.

And an old "Do or Die" Remngton add.
gcp

Courageous we stand!

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:33 pm

That sure is a pretty firearm.

I've always liked that design.

Is it like an AR, where you can hear the action parts moving when you fire it?

Also: The peep sight is interesting. Is that a Williams peep?

gcp
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by gcp » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:36 pm

Nothing like an AR...and all you hear is yourself saying ouch :cry:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
gcp

Courageous we stand!

gcp
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by gcp » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:21 pm

I finally made it back to the farm today from the north east and after quite a bit of bush hogging and other such work that was neglected while I was on travel for 6 weeks I had to try out my 81…..the priorities of life! Well, after tightening the barrel nut and concentrating on the targets it became obvious that this rifle at 100 yards will do just fine, if I do my part. By no means is it a sniper but neither are my old eyes so, I think for deer hunting in the bush it'll do just fine!

100 yards bench rest fast shooting with iron sights

Again 100 yards but more deliberate. This is a decent group but the rifle obviously shoots a bit low and to the left so next task is to see if I can tighten it up a bit with my own reloads.

BTW, the slip-on recoil pad I used on the buttstock worked like a charm, absolutely no recoil issues with it, night and day difference.

Bottom line? I am still glad I bought it.
gcp

Courageous we stand!